Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Slow, slower, stopped

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Slow, slower, stopped

I'm having trouble accessing the forum these last few weeks. The pages often take over a minute to load. Other web sites are not so slow. Is there anything I can do to diagnose and solve the problems? For a few days a week ago, the forum was completely unavailable to me and did not respond at all.

Beans

Re: Slow, slower, stopped

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    I'm having trouble accessing the forum these last few weeks. The pages often take over a minute to load. Other web sites are not so slow. ...
    I've been seeing this for quite a few months and since no one else complains, I thought it was just me even though other sites remain snappy as ever at the time a forum tab is loading and loading and loading ... It's not all the time but much of the time.

And it isn't browser-specific. I can check with three other browsers (kept cookie and cache-free) and the same thing happens.

(Sometimes, I can help things along by single-clicking in a blank space in the browser's address bar and hitting enter. I don't know why or how that works but I doubt it is coincidence.)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

on and off I have had the same issue.

Ther are more than a few threads in here about the same thing - regardless of user permisssion status.

Nothing is ~ (othr than when we DO know) obvious.

Beans

clean cache in your browser

Beans

In order for us to log a fault with Canonical we need some more information such as

Date and time
    Section of the Forum involved
    Time to load/access
    Is it both servers or Lingonberry or Bilberry.
    Browser used.

Thanks
    This account is not active.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post

[1]Date and time
    [2]Section of the Forum involved
    [3]Time to load/access
    [4]Is it both servers or Lingonberry or Bilberry.
    [5]Browser used.

My response is a bit vague but ..

1a. ... several months

1b. I find the forum responsive at around this time (2 am to 4 am, UTC). Rest of the day, things are unpredictable.

2. Any section I visit. I don't visit screenshot threads, the conky thread or any of the "games." Posting answers or questions or reporting posts are all affected.

3. When things are troublesome, the time to load can easily exceed a couple of minutes. But, some times, single clicking in the url bar and hitting enter loads a troublesome tab immediately. It happens quite frequently and I don't think it's coincidence.

4. I don't know how to know which server I'm using or how to switch servers.

5. Latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and Seamonkey. (The last two are "clean": no cache, no cookies, no history, no extensions.)

If someone helps with point 4 that would be nice.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I use the old Windows trick .. I re-boot. Trying to run down the cause when I have a 1/2 dozen windows open and a 1/2 dozen tabs in the browser would take a lot more time than a simple re-boot. (but usually the issue is something at Facebook or another site I frequent), but again I re-boot .. thus clearing the cache and cookies!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    4. I don't know how to know which server I'm using or how to switch servers.
    Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    If someone helps with point 4 that would be nice.
    It usually says at the bottom right of the page.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    It usually says at the bottom right of the page.
    Okay, now it's showing lingonberry and now bilberry without logging out or doing anything at all.

Beans

That reply took about 2 min to load.

If there's anything I can do to pin things down and it's within my means I'll do it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast