Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Time limits on forum actions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Time limits on forum actions

Quote Originally Posted by critin View Post
    It's been my understanding that if a spam report is done on one post, staff do a quick check on all of that spammers posts and deletes them all . So reporting one is effectively reporting all. That keeps reports to staff down too.
    This is a very good point.

We have to check every report, but will remove all spam posts from one spammer the first time.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thanks to jpeddicord, s.fox, bodhi.zazen and others I may have forgotten, we have scripts that make dealing with spam a lot quicker, and a lot less work.

Beans

It's been my understanding that if a spam report is done on one post, staff do a quick check on all of that spammers posts and deletes them all . So reporting one is effectively reporting all. That keeps reports to staff down too...
    Thanks. I'm well aware of that. It's been explained several times before.
    That's not the point of this thread.
    The point I started off with was that a spammer can make quite a few posts in rapid succession.
    I questioned the need to allow this given that rapid posting can be controlled in the first place.
    Others felt that it is necessary to make several posts in rapid succession.
    Others felt that current controls are effective.
    The image I posted illustrates what I think is an example of when they aren't.

Anyway, the folks running the forum see the big picture and can better evaluate the consequences of implementing measures forum users with limited perspective may suggest.

Beans

... So reporting one is effectively reporting all. That keeps reports to staff down too.
    I'm not sure about the second part.
    I report one post. You report another. A third person reports a third. All from the same industrious spammer. Sometimes, I get so confused, I report the same spammer twice.
    IMO, I don't see why reports to staff should come down. They can come down if we have some way to know that others already have reported (other posts by) the same spammer so that effectively duplicated reports aren't made.

Beans
    Hidden!

Is it really that important?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by offgridguy View Post
    Is it really that important?
    Depends on how fulfilling one's life is otherwise

Beans

A change in the time outs is likely to create more work for staff. I really see no need for change.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    I'm not sure about the second part.
    I report one post. You report another. A third person reports a third. All from the same industrious spammer. Sometimes, I get so confused, I report the same spammer twice.
    IMO, I don't see why reports to staff should come down. They can come down if we have some way to know that others already have reported (other posts by) the same spammer so that effectively duplicated reports aren't made.
    vasa1: I wasn't questioning your question, I was questioning my actions of not searching for more from a particular spammer. I really didn't want to do that. lol

I only report what I see at the moment, I've never seen more than a couple in any one day. I don't search for them, but I do notice oddly worded posts.

I don't think a spammer's posts stay around long enough for the third or fourth duplicate report; they seem to vanish pretty quickly once the first is reported. Of course, you may have already reported the one's I reported, and that's why they disappeared so quickly. heehe

You're just lucky I think, in finding so many.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans

You're just lucky I think, in finding so many.
    How else will I get my beans

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

How else will I get my beans
    Go get'em!
    Last edited by critin; September 11th, 2012 at 06:35 PM.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12