Thread: Single-boot Maverick on MacBook Pro, now need an OSX partition

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Single-boot Maverick on MacBook Pro, now need an OSX partition

A very unfortunate circumstance has arisen for me, the fact that I may NEED to use OSX for work, which has not occurred for me in many years. My normal work box is running Mint 12; but I've recently picked-up some involvement with a start up that is using Acquia Dev Cloud to host their application. Drupal is not new to me, but the Acquia cloud is. It turns out that in order to manage databases in a workflow that incorporates a local development server, one needs to use the Acquia Dev Desktop (xAMP) distribution, which (of course!) can't be used on a Linux desktop. I have an older Intel MacBook Pro that currently has a single-boot Ubuntu OS that I want to keep. Does anyone have any advice about adding a partition for OSX back to this clunker, before I dive in? I'd love to hear it!
    17" MBP 2,1 Ubuntu 10.10 single boot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Single-boot Maverick on MacBook Pro, now need an OSX partition

I've run dual boot for years but have not found any good way to install both. There might be another way, but the way that I've used has been to install OS X first and leave a partition or two for Linux. Then install Linux after OS X is set and then install rEFIt to be able to boot between them.

Beans
    Distro

Yes, I've run dual-boot setups in the past with rEFIt, as well. In this case, I'd like keep my Ubuntu and just add the OSX.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Is your hard disk partitioned using GPT partition tables? If not you will have to repartition.

I guess the key test will be what happens when you boot the install DVD or USB stick. Can you go to the disk utility and resize the OS X partition without losing it?

The way I have gone from single boot to dual boot was to back everything up and then wipe the disk into three partitions: OS X, Linux and shared data.

Beans
    Distro

The way I have gone from single boot to dual boot was to back everything up and then wipe the disk into three partitions: OS X, Linux and shared data.
    That may be what I have to do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

(After backing up...)

You could try booting the Linux install CD and seeing if you can a) resize the partition and b) get the OS X install DVD to recognize/accept the empty partition.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Another way (that may or may not be feasible for you) is to install OS X on an external drive. As a bonus you wouldn't have to modify your existing setup at all.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Distro

If you have any insight into how to do that, please, do tell! I can imagine a world of headaches, but perhaps I'm as assuming too much.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have never done it myself but I think it just involves booting from the OS X DVD and installing normally, except you install on the external drive, not the internel one.

However if you are running Lion+ (meaning DVD-less) then I don't know...
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」