Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your Perfect Distro?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Your Perfect Distro?

I mentioned elsewhere-

I would like a "Distro" a group might put together as an alternative dvd installer- (LIVE-CD is not important to me, as i install in virtualbox and mess with something for a few days before ultimately installing) -that installed the base of Ubuntu first- then asked as Easy Install what DE you wanted, so it wouldn't, have anything you didn't want.
    OR Custom Install, which loaded as many DEs you wanted, as well as ultimately having control over the programs installed as extras.

Major DEs i would like KDE GNOME UNITY Enlightenment XFCE LXDE.

The extras would be things like Codecs, WINE, GiMP, FireFox and Chrome, Blender, VLC, Virtualbox, Amarok/JuK/banshee, Transmission Client, Skype, flash and java latest stables, hardware video drivers, network drivers.

(All features of which the latest releases at the time of the build)

I believe this would all fit on 1 DVDiso, without extra languages. There ought be a seperate iso, that just includes languages anyway.

This is stretching it, but let me dream
    Last edited by Jakin; September 2nd, 2012 at 06:13 AM.

Beans

Somewhere between Arch and Funtoo. With additional options to edit source code during build time and complete sets of cpu specific binary packages. Oh, and more noobie friendly long use flag explanations per application with dependency information (like without use flag x these dependencies are not needed etc (maybe a live color coded output man that would be sweet)). Oh, and no overlays or aur needed, everything is in one central repository (source and binaries). Also, all programs would have included gnu long options, man pages, and lots of examples. A huge extensive wiki for almost every scenario that can be thought of online and offline. rc.conf style all in one configuration file + openrc / systemd style paralleled loading of services / daemons. The default shell would of course be zsh with all completions already setup in place. A default sane fallback kernel. It would be a netinstall with a well working wireless setup for install (similar to bsd? maybe). That's all I can think of right now.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Simple, Fast, Beautiful, Semi-rolling (Update the software every 1-6 Month but not the entire OS), and Easy

Beans

Sorry to revive this thread but i thought of my perfect distro. a base install of arch with yaourt and utilities for unzipping installed by default. it would come with a script on the desktop that when run would ask you what video driver to install and what browser to install and wireless if available. really with package managers i don't really see the point in installing anything more than a browser and desktop environment by default. also none of this editing text files for basic stuff like changing timezone. of course the option would be available but no reason not to be able to chose it from a drop down list or something and just have the text inserted into the file after selecting it from a list
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12