Thread: Problem with screen resolution

Beans

Exclamation Problem with screen resolution

Hi, I'm a new user of Xubuntu, I installed it on a hold PC and it runs smoothly, but I've got a big problem with the screen resolution. The pc has got a 1024x600 resolution, but the desktop resolution is locked to 800x600, and there's no way to change it. Moreover it cuts the lower part of the desktop, and I can't see it.
    I've tried with some metods I found on the internet. The first one was with sudo xrandr, but I couldn't go over half process because it said the command wasn't found.
    Then, I found something about changing xorg.conf file, but I couldn't find it in the folder X11 and I created it by myself, copying one I found on the internet. The result was that I couldn't even start the computer, and I had to launch it from USB and delete the file.

What can I do?

My PC is a hold EC-800-H20G/S

P.s. I apologize for my bad english.

Beans

Re: Problem with screen resolution

Im not sure of the differences between xubuntu and ubuntu having only tried ubuntu myself, however here is a link to a website that will easily explain how to build a suitable xorg file, if this doesnt work i would recommend installing new graphic drivers, what drivers do you currently have installed ??

http://grenage.com/xorg.html

its a great website that i recommend you bookmark !

Beans

Hi
    What do you mean by "and there's no way to change it"? Is the option locked?
    Or maybe you don't know where it is located?
    Open your menu, in there open the settings manager and find the "Display". In there you can change the resolution.

Beans

In the monitor settings, where you can change the resolution there is only one option, which is 800x600..

Beans

I don't have any idea about what drivers I have installed, how can I see what drivers I have or how can I install other drivers..