Thread: Are Source Code PPAs Really Needed?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Are Source Code PPAs Really Needed?

I stumbled into some errors with some of the PPAs I have added (most notably Chrome, which I replaced with Chromium). I have been going into all of my computers, giving each PPA a name that I can actually identify it, and realized I have tons of source code PPAs.
    I am not a developer by any means (although I think it would be nice to be able to create apps, I prefer fixing computers and their OSs as opposed to compiling them).
    So, do I really need these source code PPAs? I really would like to clean up the list of PPAs if possible-running apt-get update can take up to 5 minutes if my connection is bad, which is also a drain on my productivity.
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Are Source Code PPAs Really Needed?

no - you can remove them and greatly speed up apt-get update

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You would need the source ppa if you want to look into the source or if you intend to compile the package, for example, with different compile flags.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Thanks! I removed the source code PPAs, and now it does it in less than a minute (compared with about 3 minutes before).
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.