Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just got hacked?

Beans

Just got hacked?

Hi everyone,
    I am using Ubuntu 12.04. I work as an online app developer for google via odesk. Yesterday, I was working as usual. I was using Google Chrome; I was also listening to music on audacious, my ntfs drive 'songs' was mounted and home folder was opened and finally the Odesk team app was running.
    I am using MTS MBLAZE 3.1 MBPS wireless broadband. I just left the computer for about an hour, paused my work and went for breakfast. All the applications I mentioned above were running and internet was connected.
    When I came back the computer was on stand by (that's normal) but VLC, Firefox, Ubuntu help was opened and all of my drives were mounted and on stand by net got disconnected. No one at my home touched my pc. I was beyond shocked. From that monent on, I rebooted my pc and started win 7. I just didn't feel secure.
    Any ideas on what happened and what should I do?
    Regards,
    Arindom Das

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Just got hacked

Your cat or dog danced on your keyboard/mouse

Beans

I'm security conscious, so when I'm not literally in front of my PC, I make sure to disconnect from the net, unless I'm transferring files or something. It's a bit tedious, but so far, it has worked.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Do you have the built in firewall on? I usually make sure it is turned on after I boot (the GUI interface package is gufw). The only incoming connections I allow are Skype and the scanner I have on my printer.
    Also, did you have any remote desktop connection software open? That is one way to get into a computer when nobody is around.
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Well, 99.9% you didn't get hacked. Ubuntu is pretty secure. I've been using Ubuntu since 2008, no major issues. It's either your pets or someone else. Try locking your screen next time you leave your computer, with Ctrl + Alt + L.
    My PC: AMD Phenom II X4 960T 3GHz, 8GB RAM, 500GB WD SATA HDD, 160 GB WD PATA HDD (slave), AMD 880G chipset, AMD Radeon 6450 graphics + 1GB DDR3 video memory

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

you can check the system logs for any activity. indeed a valid question is if oyu have a firewall (on router or on the OS)?

also i hope your wireles sis propperly secured (strong password and best possible encryption)
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

"...wireless broadband..."

nuff said.
    Windows assumes the user is an idiot.
    Linux demands proof.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Habitual View Post
    "...wireless broadband..."

nuff said.
    Huh? That explains the disconnection from the internet when they got back. It doesn't explain the other programs open.

It's wireless broadband, not public wifi. You know, mobile phone internet.

Remote Desktop access may be turned on without requiring a password or local confirmation - that's definitely not the default, maybe you changed it? Otherwise, Ubuntu does not listen to any incoming ports by default, regardless of whether you have a firewall or not.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Just got hacked?

First check system monitor to see if vino-server is running.
    Then I would check the auth.log for anything that sticks out of the norm.

Code:
    sudo tail -n 30 /var/log/auth.log
    Then make sure RD is off.

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.Vino enabled false

gl
    Your first step, learn the command line man intro man man man bash

Beans

Smile Re: Just got hacked?

Well, first of all, I do not own a cat or dog so that is out of the question. Second, I am talking about my ASUS EEEPC 1015PX. I closed the laptop lid when I went.
    My system is pretty basic. I have a dial up wireless broadband. I plug in the modem. Click on "MTS MBLAZE Connection" on nm-applet and it gets connected.
    Also my work demands that I stay online during work hours so that is why I could not disconnect the internet.
    Also, I brag to my friends saying that my ubuntu netbook is better than their windows counterparts. I thought that the built in ubuntu firewall(I have never seen that option) is better than windows firewall. I never configured firewall on ubuntu or on windows.
    Also, I never used remote desktop so I have no idea on what to do with it. Nevertheless, I will search and see if it is enabled or not.
    I didn't lock my pc when I got up. I guess I got careless, also my password is very basic. That can also be a reason.
    Also I will be replying on the vino server soon.
    Thanks for the support.
    Arindom

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast