Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basic Themes Info?

Beans

Question Basic Themes Info?

I have never applied custom themes to my linux box, but am very interested in doing so. For someone just approaching it, it seems a bit daunting, because there are so many kinds of themes. I currently run Lubuntu 12.04, and as far as I can tell, I can use GTK2 themes, emerald themes and OpenBox themes, but have also seen resources suggesting I can use GTK3 themes. But can I also install themes for qt apps separately?

So really:
    Where can someone who has never explored themes in linux go to find basic information on how to use the different kinds of themes out there?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Basic Themes Info?

For Ubuntu 12.04 with the default Unity desktop you need Gnome 3.4 compatible themes and you can locate many at the link. http://gnome-look.org/index.php?xcontentmode=167

Search the forum or internet for installation instructions for 12.04 because the question of has been addressed many times.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    For Ubuntu 12.04 with the default Unity desktop you need Gnome 3.4 compatible themes and you can locate many at the link. http://gnome-look.org/index.php?xcontentmode=167

Search the forum or internet for installation instructions for 12.04 because the question of has been addressed many times.
    Thank you for the quick reply! I'm actually running Lubuntu as I mentioned, but I was wondering if there were general Linux theme-related info people could link me to, as it seems like multiple kinds of themes (beyond simply gnome 3.4) that will work on a given setup.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Adam's AI View Post
    I have never applied custom themes to my linux box, but am very interested in doing so. For someone just approaching it, it seems a bit daunting, because there are so many kinds of themes. I currently run Lubuntu 12.04, and as far as I can tell, I can use GTK2 themes, emerald themes and OpenBox themes, but have also seen resources suggesting I can use GTK3 themes. But can I also install themes for qt apps separately?

So really:
    Where can someone who has never explored themes in linux go to find basic information on how to use the different kinds of themes out there?

Thanks.
    Hi! It looks like you know quite a bit about themes already!
    Re. But can I also install themes for qt apps separately?, my guess is that you can install them but I feel you can have just one theme active at a time.
    So, ideally, if you want to run gtk2, gtk3, and qt apps in the same session, your best bet would be to find a theme that caters to all the apps you intend running. I feel you won't be able to run, in the same session, a gtk2 app with one theme and a gtk3 app with another theme and a qt app with a third theme.

(There's a distro that allows you to change DEs without logging out but that's OT.)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Hi! It looks like you know quite a bit about themes already!
    Re. But can I also install themes for qt apps separately?, my guess is that you can install them but I feel you can have just one theme active at a time.
    So, ideally, if you want to run gtk2, gtk3, and qt apps in the same session, your best bet would be to find a theme that caters to all the apps you intend running. I feel you won't be able to run, in the same session, a gtk2 app with one theme and a gtk3 app with another theme and a qt app with a third theme.

(There's a distro that allows you to change DEs without logging out but that's OT.)
    Thanks for the reply. I know a little about themes, but think I have confused myself
    That does look like an interesting distro, and I may give it a try. I'm still confused about how the themes interact though.

For the moment, just looking at Lubuntu, is it that OpenBox themes just affect window borders and GTK(2?) themes affect the window panels? But also Emerald themes can be used in that environment? What about running QT apps in that environment? I still don't really know and am curious if there are any websites that have some basic introductory information about themes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Thank you for the quick reply! I'm actually running Lubuntu as I mentioned, but I was wondering if there were general Linux theme-related info people could link me to, as it seems like multiple kinds of themes (beyond simply gnome 3.4) that will work on a given setup.
    Sorry, I missed the L some how. Search for LXDE themes at the second link.

http://box-look.org/

http://xfce-look.org/
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; August 31st, 2012 at 05:59 PM.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

... if there are any websites that have some basic introductory information about themes.
    You mean like this one?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    Sorry, I missed the L some how. Search for LXDE themes at the second link.

http://box-look.org/

http://xfce-look.org/
    Very interesting sites, thanks. Hmmm, there don't seem to be "LXDE themes" there, only GTK1, GTK2, and XFCE themes.

I've taken a look at the themes section of http://opendesktop.org/?xsection=art, but there were so many different theme types that I thought to start this thread, but it still seems like a big soup.

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    You mean like this one?
    That looks like a very detailed site! So, should I just be looking at GTK3? It appears that gtk2/3, emerald, possibly qt themes all work with LXDE?

Beans

I'm going to play around with a few themes and see what I can get working and report back. Perhaps I'm not really framing my question clearly.

Beans

Ok, I think I'm starting to understand how the different themes interact (and I've run into a problem).

What I think I've learned:
    Gtk2 themes affect the window panels in Lubuntu and can be added to a .themes folder in the user's home directory.

.obt Openbox themes affect window borders can be installed through the Customize Look & Feel panel.

Emerald themes are also for window borders (instead of Openbox themes) but require the emerald theming program which has been removed from the Ubuntu repositories for being 'in bad shape'.

I have run into one problem though:
    I tried opening up some qt applications like Krita and Karbon to see how they look, and while they had menus according to the gtk2 theme, they had no window borders/decorations. I couldn't move or close them. Any ideas on how to fix this ????
    (When I opened them I anticipated having it work the other way around, gtk2 theme ignored, but borders working so this is a surprise).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast