Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .NET dead or alive?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

.NET dead or alive?

So by a fluke, i saw a thread (cant remember the name) where someone was asking for advice on Java VS .NET.

And the replies was for example that, .NET development is a dead end. And that was like O.o to me.
    I have for some time now, been working with C# and ASP.NET. And i feel like i am wasting my time, if the IT-community sees this as a dead end, eventually.

So my question is. Is .NET development going to end in the grave?

And if so, what could a backend server language be besides PHP that can give the same functions as C#. (under linux)

Thanks on advance.
    Kind regards.

Beans

Re: .NET dead or alive?

Are you developing strictly in c# now for Linux?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by thatguruguy View Post
    Are you developing strictly in c# now for Linux?
    Well i am using visual studio (still learning programming) and sure it auto-generates some html and php code. But besides for the auto-generated code, i'm only working in C#.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

.Net is very much alive, and it will be for a long time.

The only reason people are spreading the rumor that .Net is dead is because Windows 8 Metro apps will be programmed in some kind of html5+javascript combo. But the truth is that the Metro style isn't going to cut it for all kinds of full desktop applications, and not everyone is just going to suddenly switch to Windows 8, anyway. .Net will be around for a very long time.

And ASP.net is certainly not going anywhere. I'd say that more servers and hosts support PHP, though, especially the Linux ones that can't run ASP.net.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Metro Apps will _NOT_ be programmed in a JavaScript+HTML5 exclusive cocktail. I don't know how this rumour started nor why people rattle it off as a reply like sheep as basic research would have shown this not to be the case.

Metro is the new Windows 8 UX. It supports .NET (C# and VB.NET), C/C++ and Javascript/HTML5 all on equal footing. It has a solution called WinRT which is meant to expose APIs (kinda like GObject-Introspection does for GNOME.. only this actually works) making them available for all supported languages.

If anything Microsoft are now pushing .NET harder by making it an equal citizen on the Windows platform where previously it was kinda bolted on as an afterthought.

In fact Windows 8 has an extremely strong developer story and some very interesting design choices. E.g. a rule in the Metro API design is that if any call takes more than 50ms to execute, you simply only get the async version. This is to ensure that applications in Metro are responsive and fluid at all times.
    On strike during the Oneiric cycle due to ungratefulness of Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by gnomeuser View Post
    Metro Apps will _NOT_ be programmed in a JavaScript+HTML5 exclusive cocktail. I don't know how this rumour started nor why people rattle it off as a reply like sheep as basic research would have shown this not to be the case.
    Nobody ever said that html5+javascript is the exclusive means of programming Metro apps. The reason people talk about it is because that is what Microsoft promoted when they unveiled Win8 & Metro UI.

But honestly, if you're trying to get a Metro app out quickly and you have a choice between html5+javascript or C/C++ and they both produce the same results, which one are you going to choose?

.Net isn't going anywhere because you can use it in Metro apps and not all software is suitable for Metro.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post

But honestly, if you're trying to get a Metro app out quickly and you have a choice between html5+javascript or C/C++ and they both produce the same results, which one are you going to choose?
    this case is obvious, but a bit more on topic:
    html5 + javascript vs any .NET language which are you going to choose?
    most people with a bit of sense will choose their favorite .NET language (I like boo ).
    Last edited by MadCow108; October 13th, 2011 at 06:54 PM.

Beans

html5+javascript or C/C++ and they both produce the same results,
    If they produce the same results, i'd choose html5+javascript, for it being able to be used anywhere and being easy to implement, concidering.

But that makes me doubt this reply:
    this case is obvious, but a bit more on topic:
    html5 + javascript vs any .NET language which are you going to choose?
    most people with a bit of sense will choose their favorite .NET language (I like boo ).
    If I had sense I wouldn't use .net because HTML5+Javascript is so much more widely supported and easier.
    I cannot see any advantages of .net

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Mmmbopdowedop View Post
    If I had sense I wouldn't use .net because HTML5+Javascript is so much more widely supported and easier.
    I cannot see any advantages of .net
    ok which os besides the bleeding edge supports html5 + javascript for desktop applications?
    maybe windows 8 chrome os and gnome 3, all not very widely distributed yet.

on the otherhand .net and mono run almost everywhere + you have the advantage of technically much more robust languages on a very solid technical basis than a hack on to 20 year old standards and a scripting language artificially pushed by the web far beyond to what it was supossed do in the beginning and never allowed to drop its design flaws due to compatibility issues.
    Last edited by MadCow108; October 13th, 2011 at 09:23 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MadCow108 View Post
    ok which os besides the bleeding edge supports html5 + javascript for desktop applications?
    maybe windows 8 chrome os and gnome 3, all not very widely distributed yet.

on the otherhand .net and mono run almost everywhere + you have the advantage of technically much more robust languages on a very solid technical basis than a hack on to 20 year old standards and a scripting language artificially pushed by the web far beyond to what it was supossed do in the beginning and never allowed to drop its design flaws due to compatibility issues.
    True, but right now we're talking about programming Metro apps, which only applies for one OS. If you want to be crossplatform, that's obviously not the choice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast