Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: GNOME-flavoured Ubuntu Spin Coming

Beans

Re: GNOME-flavoured Ubuntu Spin Coming

Quote Originally Posted by vexorian View Post
    Why?

The whole point is freedom and multiple options.

I for one would rather have options than success. Success is such a foul objective for open source anyway.

Success brings success, which in turn brings investment and the growth will attract more Software suppliers and developers, the result a richer experience for all.

But of course failure is way more desirable
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Explain to me why we need software suppliers and developers that would be better fit for the windows world anyway.

I misused the world success. What you speak of is not success. Is the promise of numerical success out of imitating dows and OS/X. And a not-so certain promise at that based on suppositions and other dubious things.

The truth of the matter is:
    - DEs are interchangeable in this OS.
    - There are developers who would rather develop for unity instead of GNOME.
    - There are developers who would rather develop for GNOME instead of unity.
    - There are people who would rather use GNOME instead of unity.
    - There are people who would rather use Unity instead of GNOME.

Imposing a single option to battle this mythical "enemy" of fragmentation would forcibly give us 50% of losers. 50% users that do not like the choice presented. 50% developers that do not like to develop anymore.

Allowing choice, allows all of these guys in . Users can use unity if they want, they can use GNOME if they want, they can use KDE if they want etc. And contrary to nay-sayers it has been working GREAT. We have a vibrant developer community of people working in DEs and Applications that THEY like. And we got users who have such fun tweaking their systems and taking all the juice from them. So, I didn't use the word success correctly. To me, this is success. If we instead had something like windows. That was popular and mainstream but didn't allow this many choice. That would be failure. Because windows already exists. Where's the need for another one?
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Primefalcon View Post
    I don't think fragmentation is a problem, choice is good, ...
    At least one Mozilla dev is on record expressing frustration with fragmentation.

Beans

Fragmentation ; The act or process of breaking into fragments.

Of course its a myth. It's a myth that there is 100's of Linux Distributions. Its a myth that there is multiple packaging systems. Its a myth that there is multiple file systems.

Why don't Enterprises flock to Linux? Simple which one would they choose? should they spend ten years testing them all when they can go to their suppliers and get Windows or OSX.

Why don't Game suppliers flock to Linux? Simple which one would they choose? or should they spend huge sums developing for them all to have each trade at a loss.

Why don't consumers flock to Linux? Simple which one would they choose? Windows or OSX is in the High Street Appliance store.

But of course the +/-1% after twenty years is a myth, fragmentation is a myth, success is therefore a myth.
    This account is not active.

Beans

I personally think it's a great thing to have the choice even if you don't use it. It's nice to have the 4 major DEs all in the same distro.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vexorian View Post
    Allowing choice, allows all of these guys in . Users can use unity if they want, they can use GNOME if they want, they can use KDE if they want etc. ...
    Yes they can but there's a cost. Gardens are being walled off by "integration" and "recognized" apps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    Fragmentation ; The act or process of breaking into fragments.

Of course its a myth. It's a myth that there is 100's of Linux Distributions. Its a myth that there is multiple packaging systems. Its a myth that there is multiple file systems.

Why don't Enterprises flock to Linux? Simple which one would they choose? should they spend ten years testing them all when they can go to their suppliers and get Windows or OSX.

Why don't Game suppliers flock to Linux? Simple which one would they choose? or should they spend huge sums developing for them all to have each trade at a loss.

Why don't consumers flock to Linux? Simple which one would they choose? Windows or OSX is in the High Street Appliance store.

But of course the +/-1% after twenty years is a myth, fragmentation is a myth, success is therefore a myth.
    While there is fragmentation, it's not quite that bad. SUSE, Red Hat and Ubuntu make up 90+% of Linux users...

Another issue is development tools. MS and Apple make developers lives easy. While Linux has powerful development tools and support for a ton of language and frameworks, it's not the easiest to develop desktop apps for. MS and Apple have consistent and unified frameworks, Linux doesn't.

Dependencies are annoying too, especially since the .debs and .rpms all have different names...
    Last edited by Mikeb85; August 31st, 2012 at 04:39 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Primefalcon View Post
    All of these desktops can easily be gotten via the repo's anyhow, why not just kill them off, and during install ask the user if they want a different desktop.... since we're beyond a CD now anyhow....
    You're taking for granted the fact that these packages would be in the repo, and as well supported, if there weren't the respins. These respin projects often act as a rally point for people interested in packaging and polishing the software for Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I might check it out. It's a hassle to boot up into a different environment just to install Gnome-shell, and I'm always wondering if any of my esoteric problems involve Gnome components fighting with Unity.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by CarpKing View Post
    I might check it out. It's a hassle to boot up into a different environment just to install Gnome-shell, and I'm always wondering if any of my esoteric problems involve Gnome components fighting with Unity.
    It doesn't, I have both installed

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast