Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Lenovo G480 / Atheros AR8162 woes: unable to initiate wired/dsl

Beans

Lenovo G480 / Atheros AR8162 woes: unable to initiate wired/dsl

It was time to retire the Lenovo G430 that had run happily with 10.04/10.10/11.04. Out with old, in with the new: Lenovo G480. It's loaded with Windows 7. Nuked Windows 7 and installed 11.04 via a cd. Everything hunky dory, except unable to fire up dsl on ubuntu.

I came here two weeks ago, to no avail. Since when I have installed Windows 7, which does give me DSL. But having now installed as dual boot 12.04, I am still unable to go wired/dsl.

I have been all over the forums. And made a beginning thanks to the sticky on Absolute Begiiners Page: "Linux Command Line Learning Resources". But still not found a solution.

Can someone help me, please.

For starters:

ifconfig
    jem@ubuntu:~$ ifconfig
    lo Link encap: Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:24 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:24 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:1456 (1.4 KB) TX bytes:1456 (1.4 KB)
    ----
    That's it, that's all.
    ----

Here's lshw -C network
    jem@ubuntu:~$ sudo lshw -C network
    *-network UNCLAIMED
    description: Ethernet controller
    product: AR8162 Fast Ethernet
    vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
    version: 08
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm pciexpress msi msix bus_master cap_list
    configuration: latency=0
    resources: memory:d3500000-d353ffff ioport:2000(size=128)
    *-network DISABLED
    description: Wireless interface
    product: BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller
    vendor: Broadcom Corporation
    bus info: pci@0000:04:00.0
    logical name: wlan0
    version: 01
    serial: 08:ed:b9:98:d6:39
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=brcmsmac driverversion=3.2.0-23-generic firmware=N/A latency=0 link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn
    resources: irq:17 memory:d3400000-d3403fff
    jem@ubuntu:~$
    ---

Are there any clues there? Is there something else you need to sort out the problem?

You see, I am sure this is solvable. But not by me alone. I am hoping someone out there may help! I have really grown to love ubuntu. I really don't want to have to continue dual booting and choosing Windowz. Cheers!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Lenovo G480 / Atheros AR8162 woes: unable to initiate wired/dsl

First, we need to associate a driver with your ethernet card; it currently has none:
    *-network UNCLAIMED
    description: Ethernet controller
    product: AR8162 Fast Ethernet
    vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
    In order to figure out what driver we need, we need more information. Please run and post:
    Code:
    lspci -nn | grep 0200
    The pipe symbol | is on the right side of my US keyboard on the same key with \. Thanks.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    First, we need to associate a driver with your ethernet card; it currently has none:In order to figure out what driver we need, we need more information. Please run and post:
    Code:
    lspci -nn | grep 0200
    The pipe symbol | is on the right side of my US keyboard on the same key with \. Thanks.
    Hi, chili555.
    Here:
    jem@ubuntu:~$ lspci -nn | grep 0200
    03:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR8162 Fast Ethernet [1969:1090] (rev 08)
    jem@ubuntu:~$

Beans
    Distro

Atheros Communications Inc. AR8162 Fast Ethernet [1969:1090]
    Your device works with the elusive driver alx. My long delay in responding was because I was working out how and where to get it working. It will require big downloads and we'll need to get your wireless working first. Do you have an available wireless network you can connect to?
    *-network DISABLED
    description: Wireless interface
    product: BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller
    vendor: Broadcom Corporation
    bus info: pci@0000:04:00.0
    logical name: wlan0
    <snip>
    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=brcmsmac driverversion=3.2.0-23-generic firmware=N/A latency=0 link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn
    resources: irq:17 memory:d3400000-d3403fff
    You have the driver in place and I assume the wireless is disabled because the switch is set to OFF. Confirm:
    Code:
    rfkill list all
    Flip it to ON and get an internet connection. Then open a terminal and do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic build-essential
    wget http://www.orbit-lab.org/kernel/compat-wireless-3-stable/v3.5/compat-wireless-3.5.1-1-snpc.tar.bz2
    tar -xf compat-wireless-3.5.1-1-snpc.tar.bz2
    cd compat-wireless-3.5.1-1-snpc
    ./scripts/driver-select alx
    make
    sudo make install
    sudo modprobe alx
    Your wired ethernet should now be working.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

[QUOTE=chili555;12206393]Your device works with the elusive driver alx. My long delay in responding was because I was working out how and where to get it working. It will require big downloads and we'll need to get your wireless working first. Do you have an available wireless network you can connect to?

Chili555,

Wireless not available here; that's why I need wired/dsl.

FYI, in BIOS I can enable/disable 'wireless', but no such option available for ethernet or suchlike.

It's past midnight here on a little island in the South China Sea. I am logging out. Will check in on Friday as today on my old laptop.. In the meantime, many thanks for your assistance.

Beans
    Distro

Wireless not available here; that's why I need wired/dsl.
    That's too bad. Installing the driver alx will be challenging without it. If you can download the packages to your Windows partition and then transfer them on a USB key, CD or similar, then we can get the job done. First, let's get build-essential: http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/build-essential

Download the package as appropriate to your architecture; either i386 (32-bit) or amd64 (64-bit). Find out which you have with this command:
    Code:
    arch
    32-bit will report as i686 and 64-bit as x86_64.

The red dots indicate that the package build-essential depends on dpkg-dev, g++, gcc, libc6-dev or libc-dev and make. Download those packages also.

Now for linux-headers: http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?ke...se&section=all As you can see, you can download linux-headers-generic or linux-headers-generic-pae. Find out which you need with:
    Code:
    uname -r
    This package depends on the headers matching your running kernel. That means that, in addition to the 'generic' or generic-pae' package, you'll also need linux-headers for your kernel. For example, if the uname -r command shows that you are running 3.2.0-23-generic, you will need linux-headers-3.2.0-23-generic.

Once you have all these on a USB key or CD, drag and drop these on to the desktop of your Ubuntu installation. Open a terminal and do:
    Code:
    cd Desktop
    sudo dpkg -i *.deb
    The wildcard * means to install every .deb package on your desktop. We hope there are no missing dependencies, but if so, go here, download and install them, too: http://packages.ubuntu.com/

Now for compat-wireless. Download this package and transfer it to your Ubuntu desktop. http://www.orbit-lab.org/kernel/comp...1-snpc.tar.bz2

Then install it:
    Code:
    cd Desktop
    make
    sudo make install
    sudo modprobe alx
    Post back any errors or problems; I'll be glad to help.

We are many timezones apart, so I will look for your post early tomorrow morning.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    That's too bad. Installing the driver alx will be challenging without it. If you can download the packages to your Windows partition and then transfer them on a USB key, CD or similar, then we can get the job done. First, let's get build-essential: http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/build-essential

Download the package as appropriate to your architecture; either i386 (32-bit) or amd64 (64-bit). Find out which you have with this command:
    Code:
    arch
    32-bit will report as i686 and 64-bit as x86_64.

The red dots indicate that the package build-essential depends on dpkg-dev, g++, gcc, libc6-dev or libc-dev and make. Download those packages also.

Now for linux-headers: http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?ke...se&section=all As you can see, you can download linux-headers-generic or linux-headers-generic-pae. Find out which you need with:
    Code:
    uname -r
    This package depends on the headers matching your running kernel. That means that, in addition to the 'generic' or generic-pae' package, you'll also need linux-headers for your kernel. For example, if the uname -r command shows that you are running 3.2.0-23-generic, you will need linux-headers-3.2.0-23-generic.

Once you have all these on a USB key or CD, drag and drop these on to the desktop of your Ubuntu installation. Open a terminal and do:
    Code:
    cd Desktop
    sudo dpkg -i *.deb
    The wildcard * means to install every .deb package on your desktop. We hope there are no missing dependencies, but if so, go here, download and install them, too: http://packages.ubuntu.com/

Now for compat-wireless. Download this package and transfer it to your Ubuntu desktop. http://www.orbit-lab.org/kernel/comp...1-snpc.tar.bz2

Then install it:
    Code:
    cd Desktop
    make
    sudo make install
    sudo modprobe alx
    Post back any errors or problems; I'll be glad to help.

We are many timezones apart, so I will look for your post early tomorrow morning.
    Chili555, many thanks for all you have done. I have followed your (easy-to-follow) instructions and now downloaded all the stuff.
    However, some years ago I vowed I would never again do any major installations at night. After a long day, tiredeness can lead ot snafusI So, if you don't mind, I will wait until daylight on Saturday to install. And let you know the result soon after. Again, many thanks for all your help.

Beans
    Distro

So, if you don't mind, I will wait until daylight on Saturday to install.
    No problem at all. I will look forward to your success!

Beans

Chili555 (and everyone else), I am delighted to report that thanks to your know-how and easy-to-follow instructions I am now connected via wired/dsl to the interwebs. Life looked bleak and now it's bright again. Many, many thanks!

Beans
    Distro

Woo hoo! That is awesome news! Great job.

As with any driver or module that's compiled from source code, it was compiled against your running kernel version only. When you get updates and get a newer kernel version, also known as linux-image, you will need to recompile:
    Code:
    cd Desktop/compat-wireless-3.5.1-1-snpc
    make clean
    make
    sudo make install
    sudo modprobe alx
    You might copy these instructions to your desktop so you'll recall when the time comes.

The alx driver is a new arrival and you've worked out a successful install. So the searchers can find the fix, please use thread tools at the top and mark Solved.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast