Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Lenovo G480 / Atheros AR8162 woes: unable to initiate wired/dsl

Beans

Re: Lenovo G480 / Atheros AR8162 woes: unable to initiate wired/dsl

No, still same issue. There is an icon showing Auto Ethernet but can not connect.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by paramjeet View Post
    No, still same issue. There is an icon showing Auto Ethernet but can not connect.
    Where is your new thread?
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

Beans

Thanks,
    Great instructions. I was able to follow all the way until make, which failed.

Code:

make: *** /lib/modules/3.5.0-23-generic/build: No such file or directory.  Stop.
    make: *** [modules] Error 2
    user@Sadhu:~/compat-wireless-3.5.1-1-snpc$ ./scripts/driver-select alx
    (Oh, this was a multi-page thread, I have read only the first one so far. Now reading further..)
    Last edited by Arjunanda; March 16th, 2013 at 03:29 PM.

Beans

I'm having an issue. I have a Toshiba Satellite C855 that I am trying to install the driver for. Same Atheros AR8162 driver. My Ubuntu on this machine is essentially a fresh install. Because neither my wifi nor ethernet work, it's also essentially a partial install since it could not download the updates that are normally downloaded during installation. It's on the 3.5.0-17-generic kernel.

I've tried to install all the build dependancies through .deb packages. I downloaded the compat-wireless file on another machine and put it on the Toshiba via USB. When it gets to the make portion, it fails and says "make[1] *** No rule to make target `module'. Stop.". Since this happened, I decided to try to build it on a Ubuntu VM that I have on this machine (the one I'm posting from, a MacBook Pro). Unfortunately the kernel on it is 3.5.0-25-generic. But I decided to try anyway. When I moved the alx.ko into /lib/modules/3.5.0-17-generic/kernel/ubuntu/alx/alx.ko (which was essentially where it installed to on the VM) and tried to do modprobe, it just says not found. When I tried to insmod it, I got "Error inserting module alx.ko: -1 Invalid Parameters".

Any ideas on how I could get this working?

Again, I WAS able to get the module to build and install successfully on the VM, but I can't get it working on the Toshiba.

Edit: I just figured out that modprobe couldn't find it because I was putting alx.ko, I tried with just lax and I get "Invalid argument"

Edit 2: I finally got it to build. My /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r) didn't have a build directory, so I made it manually, not realizing it was supposed to be a symlink to /usr/source/linux-headers-$(shell uname -r). So ignore this post.
    Last edited by SSchuetrumpf; March 19th, 2013 at 07:48 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thumbs up Re: Lenovo G480 / Atheros AR8162 woes: unable to initiate wired/dsl

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    Your device works with the elusive driver alx. My long delay in responding was because I was working out how and where to get it working. It will require big downloads and we'll need to get your wireless working first. Do you have an available wireless network you can connect to?You have the driver in place and I assume the wireless is disabled because the switch is set to OFF. Confirm:
    Code:
    rfkill list all
    Flip it to ON and get an internet connection. Then open a terminal and do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic build-essential
    wget http://www.orbit-lab.org/kernel/compat-wireless-3-stable/v3.5/compat-wireless-3.5.1-1-snpc.tar.bz2
    tar -xf compat-wireless-3.5.1-1-snpc.tar.bz2
    cd compat-wireless-3.5.1-1-snpc
    ./scripts/driver-select alx
    make
    sudo make install
    sudo modprobe alx
    Your wired ethernet should now be working.

Thank you so much! That worked for me, too for my Toshiba Qosmio x870 with Ubuntu 12.10

Beans

Yes thanks, this solved the problem for me as well.

I just had to do first
    Code:
     sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get upgrade; sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic build-essential
    after that, the compile process went throgh nicely, and drive installed succesfully.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

By the way, the module alx is included in Ubuntu 12.10 for kernels 3.5.0-24 and beyond. When Update Manager gives you a lot of updates, one of which is the latest linux-image, currently 3.5.0-26, you will no longer need to compile compat-wireless.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

Yes,

Update about 2 weeks ago solved my atheros driver problem, and as a bonus, it also fixed the non-functional screen brightness keys.

Beans

Atheros LAN problems

Just a note of thanks for this thread. The support given to the original poster helped me solve the same problem with a Atheros 8161 on an ASUS board.

Chili555, you have my gratitude....

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast