Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: A way to remove the side/bottom menu bars?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Beans
    5

    A way to remove the side/bottom menu bars?

    Hey,
    So I'm new to ubuntu from OSX, and I was wondering if there is a way to remove the side and bottom bars on the desktop. They're a bit annoying and I'd like to remove them if I could. I'm running 11.04. Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Beans
    14,446
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: A way to remove the side/bottom menu bars?

    Quote Originally Posted by alirath2212 View Post
    Hey,
    So I'm new to ubuntu from OSX, and I was wondering if there is a way to remove the side and bottom bars on the desktop. They're a bit annoying and I'd like to remove them if I could. I'm running 11.04. Thanks!
    Hi, no they can not be removed, you can set the left launcher to stay hidden, where it will only open with the super key or moving your cursor all the way to the top left of the screen. Here is how.
    In the Unity plugin, set Reveal to Auto hide and the Reveal edge to None or Disabled. screenshot shows that the edges are disabled so that it will not open ,you can tell because all around the little window it is in red, if it was set to open when the mouse was moved to the edge it would be in green. You do have to have ccsm installed to change unity plugin settings.
    Last edited by Wild Man; February 10th, 2013 at 06:58 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Beans
    5

    Re: A way to remove the side/bottom menu bars?

    Where would I find the Unity plug-in?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: A way to remove the side/bottom menu bars?

    Quote Originally Posted by wildmanne39 View Post
    Hi, no they can not be removed, you can set the left launcher to stay hidden, where it will only open with the super key or moving your cursor all the way to the top left of the screen. Here is how.
    In the Unity plugin, set Reveal to Auto hide and the Reveal edge to None or Disabled. screenshot shows that the edges are disabled so that it will not open ,you can tell because all around the little window it is in red, if it was set to open when the mouse was moved to the edge it would be in green. You do have to have ccsm installed to change unity plugin settings.
    Ok, long time lurker here and first time poster. I saw the picture that you have of your desktop (very nice by the way) and I have to ask: How did you manage to get your desktop to display all of that information on the far right? I've seen it a couple other times on other peoples desktops and I've never heard a whisper of how it's done.

    I'm running 10.04 LTS btw.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Beans
    14,446
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: A way to remove the side/bottom menu bars?

    Quote Originally Posted by alirath2212 View Post
    Where would I find the Unity plug-in?
    Hi, open software center and put ccsm in the search box and it will bring up ccsm install it then open dash and type ccsm when it shows it click on it, then in filter type unity and you will see the plugin click on it but do not disable it or change any other setting in ccsm.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Beans
    14,446
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: A way to remove the side/bottom menu bars?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joreus View Post
    Ok, long time lurker here and first time poster. I saw the picture that you have of your desktop (very nice by the way) and I have to ask: How did you manage to get your desktop to display all of that information on the far right? I've seen it a couple other times on other peoples desktops and I've never heard a whisper of how it's done.

    I'm running 10.04 LTS btw.
    Hi, you have to install conky from synaptic, then go to this link and get help setting it up, it is a process that will take some time.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ighlight=conky

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Beans
    2

    Re: A way to remove the side/bottom menu bars?

    Sorry but i am new to Ubuntu and have never posted on these forums before. I was using Ubuntu 11.04 which i quiet liked sometimes a bit slow but i liked it. The only problem i found with 11.04 was the menu bar on the left would sometimes get in the way. I have just upgraded to 12 and i hate the menu bar now because it is always in view. How can i get it back how it was in 11.04. I have a small screen on my dell mini so this menu bar takes up valuable space. Hope you can help.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Somewhere...
    Beans
    1,543
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

    Re: A way to remove the side/bottom menu bars?

    Quote Originally Posted by ezz69 View Post
    Sorry but i am new to Ubuntu and have never posted on these forums before. I was using Ubuntu 11.04 which i quiet liked sometimes a bit slow but i liked it. The only problem i found with 11.04 was the menu bar on the left would sometimes get in the way. I have just upgraded to 12 and i hate the menu bar now because it is always in view. How can i get it back how it was in 11.04. I have a small screen on my dell mini so this menu bar takes up valuable space. Hope you can help.
    Right click on the desktop, choose "Change Desktop Background", choose the "Behavior" tab, then set "Autohide Launcher" to On. The left Launcher will hide itself, and you need to push the left side to reveal it (which is a step up from 11.04, in which the Launcher would reveal if you simply touch the left side, which is an annoyance)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Beans
    2

    Re: A way to remove the side/bottom menu bars?

    Quote Originally Posted by zombifier25 View Post
    Right click on the desktop, choose "Change Desktop Background", choose the "Behavior" tab, then set "Autohide Launcher" to On. The left Launcher will hide itself, and you need to push the left side to reveal it (which is a step up from 11.04, in which the Launcher would reveal if you simply touch the left side, which is an annoyance)
    Excellent, thank you. Back to how it was in 11.04

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Beans
    14,446
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: A way to remove the side/bottom menu bars?

    Old thread closed.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •