Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Disadvantages of having multiple DE installed at same time +1 more question/

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Islamabad / Rawalpindi
    Beans
    87
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Question Disadvantages of having multiple DE installed at same time +1 more question/

    hi
    what is the disadvantage of having multiple desktop environments like kde gnom xfce installed all .

    when i have installed all of the above and then i login using gnome will be ram usage be increased ? i mean will there be extra thngs loaded into memory ?
    because i am using old p3 with 512mb ram..

    also can i run softwares made for kde in gnome ? what are the disadvantage ? would running a software made for kde in gnome cause more memory (RAM) to to be used instead if it were to be run in the envirnment for which it was designed /
    where can i read more about it

    thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Somewhere...
    Beans
    1,559
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

    Re: Disadvantages of having multiple DE installed at same time +1 more question/

    Quote Originally Posted by paichkash View Post
    hi
    what is the disadvantage of having multiple desktop environments like kde gnom xfce installed all .
    The application menus will be cluttered with apps from different DEs. Of course, disk space will also be used up. Other than those, not much.
    Quote Originally Posted by paichkash View Post
    when i have installed all of the above and then i login using gnome will be ram usage be increased ? i mean will there be extra thngs loaded into memory ?
    because i am using old p3 with 512mb ram..
    AFAIK none. If any then the increase is barely noticable.
    Quote Originally Posted by paichkash View Post
    also can i run softwares made for kde in gnome ? what are the disadvantage ? would running a software made for kde in gnome cause more memory (RAM) to to be used instead if it were to be run in the envirnment for which it was designed /
    where can i read more about it

    thanks
    KDE apps running in GNOME will have to require some Qt libraries to be loaded in order to work, so startup time and RAM usage of those apps will go up. But generally you can run an application in whatever desktop environment you want without much penalty.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    albuquerque
    Beans
    561
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Disadvantages of having multiple DE installed at same time +1 more question/

    Quote Originally Posted by zombifier25 View Post
    The application menus will be cluttered with apps from different DEs.
    And if this bothers you, you can always edit the menus. But when I've had multiple DEs installed, I've preferred to be able to see the apps from each DE in the menus. I didn't mind the clutter, much.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Spring Hill, FL USA
    Beans
    302
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Disadvantages of having multiple DE installed at same time +1 more question/

    One big advantage of running multiple desktops is you can change your environment any time you want without having to pay a penalty for doing so except for maybe clutter in the login Menu, that doesn't bother me. Never being bored with your Desktop is an advantage if running Ubuntu. Have fun!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    albuquerque
    Beans
    561
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Disadvantages of having multiple DE installed at same time +1 more question/

    Quote Originally Posted by rickm1945 View Post
    Never being bored with your Desktop is an advantage if running Ubuntu.
    Or if running some other Linux distro!

    Lately, though, I tend to go with one DE (like KDE or GNOME) and one WM (like Openbox or Fluxbox), although I do like to run certain KDE apps no matter which DE or WM I'm using. In any case, I'm not one to stick with only the default DE. A change of scenery is nice, sometimes! I think of it as similar to not having to wear the same clothes every day.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Islamabad / Rawalpindi
    Beans
    87
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Disadvantages of having multiple DE installed at same time +1 more question/

    thanks all it did helpd .. now i will try some kde apps in gnome.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •