Thread: How do I disable VMWare services?

Beans

Question How do I disable VMWare services?

Hi there, I've recently moved over from windows to Xubuntu and this is my first forum post (As usually everything I've needed to know has been right here! Excellent community I must say.)

I installed VMWare Workstation today and noticed that now, even when im not using vmware, a couple of related services are now loading at startup.

I've not noticed any degrading of performance from this, and despite my usual 'if it ain't broke don't fix it mentality' I've become accustomed already to not having things running that don't need to be. (One of the many reasons I moved over.)

Is there a way to make these services only load as needed, or perhaps make a little script to disable/enabled as required manually?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Beans

Re: How do I disable VMWare services?

Thanks for the reply, though that was actually the first place I checked.. I also made sure there was nothing in that 'local.rc' file... (I think thats what it was called) ... still no joy.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread moved to Virtualization.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by wjbarber82 View Post
    Hi there, I've recently moved over from windows to Xubuntu and this is my first forum post (As usually everything I've needed to know has been right here! Excellent community I must say.)

I installed VMWare Workstation today and noticed that now, even when im not using vmware, a couple of related services are now loading at startup.

I've not noticed any degrading of performance from this, and despite my usual 'if it ain't broke don't fix it mentality' I've become accustomed already to not having things running that don't need to be. (One of the many reasons I moved over.)

Is there a way to make these services only load as needed, or perhaps make a little script to disable/enabled as required manually?
    Installing VMware (or any VM system) involves deep hooking into the host OS so the VM system works when required.

It is pointless risk taking to try to play with any of these functions that impose a trivial impost on the host OS.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way