Thread: DIY: Who has dealt with pringles can's,tin can's, strainers, etc?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

DIY: Who has dealt with pringles can's,tin can's, strainers, etc?

What's up? Just as title says. I have tried making a couple wifi boosters i have read about a few on the internet. I am trying to see outside the box here. everywhere talks about tin food cans pringles cans strainers etc. I have used a tin can with ripples didnt have plain one around somehow this antenna didn't help. I used a kitchen strainer (mesh wire) as talked about alot and maybe a 5% boost but the hotspot i am connecting to is so far away that somehow it does better without anything. it connects by itself at 22 percent but it does not connect using the strainer with gives it a 42 on connectivity and not a 22. wierd.
    the strainer is the best i have used but somehow i can not connect to it even when the signal stronger. which i knew which direction it really was!

damn this is a good usb wifi adapter on my PC!

Beans

Re: DIY: Who has dealt with pringles can's,tin can's, strainers, etc?

Simple reflectors such as you mention don't actually boost the signal strength, the merely cut down on ambient noise by excluding certain directions. Thus, what you've achieved is a less noisy signal, but I suspect it just isn't strong enough for your detector - it sounds like the usb wifi adapter for the PC may be better.

A friend assures me that adding an amplifier between the aerial and the detector won't help, as the noise gets amplified too, but that suggests that if you can amplify the less-noisy signal provided from using the reflector that might do the trick.

The next question is obvious - do I know of such a device? I'm afraid not, but google might help.
    Derek