Thread: 12.04 64-bit, "prettynames" cron job stopped running - need help

Threaded View

Minneapolis, MN
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: 12.04 64-bit, "prettynames" cron job stopped running - need help

The Mythlink documentation says:
    Using as a User Job

When used as a User Job, will be executed when the recording ends, and can be configured such that it only creates a link for the new recording. To use the script as a User Job, specify the --chanid and --starttime arguments in addition to any other desired arguments and it will create a link only for the new recording: --link /mnt/pretty --chanid %CHANID% --starttime %STARTTIME% --format '%T/%T%-%S'

Note: You will also need to run separately to remove old symlinks. See Usage.
    I interpret this to mean that I need to get the cron job running, in any case, so that will run at least once a day to clean up any deleted symlinks.
    Is that how you read it?

If so, I need to get back to the cron troubleshooting!

I found this page:

I just tried "ps aux | grep cron" and got this:
    user1@Mythbuntu:~$ ps aux | grep cron
    root      1175  0.0  0.0  19104   496 ?        Ss   Aug26   0:00 cron
    user1     25280  0.0  0.0   6500   620 pts/1    S+   18:43   0:00 grep --color=auto cron
    That unixgeeks page says the top line shows that crond is running, and the bottom line is the search I just ran.

In looking in the most rescent syslog file, I see these entries every hour:
    Aug 31 08:12:01 Mythbuntu CRON[23079]: (root) CMD (   cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
    Aug 31 08:12:01 Mythbuntu CRON[23078]: (CRON) info (No MTA installed, discarding output)
    I'm not sure if that is significant...
    Last edited by neutron68; September 1st, 2012 at 05:46 PM. Reason: added details