Thread: Firefox randomly crashing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Firefox randomly crashing

I just installed Ubuntu 11.10 about a week ago. Now Firefox randomly crashes at various times. I have Firefox 14.0.1, no add-ons except for what comes with the default package.

Firefox almost always crashes whenever I download a file. It can also crash at other random times when I'm browsing the web. I never see any kind of crash dialog. If I run it from the terminal, I see the message
    Code:
     (firefox:10547): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_entry_get_text: assertion `GTK_IS_ENTRY (entry)' failed
    KCrash: crashing... crashRecursionCounter = 2
    KCrash: Application Name = gtk-qt-application path = <unknown> pid = 10547

[1]+  Segmentation fault      firefox
    I've run into at least one other (presumably) unrelated issue with gtk version conflicts (see this thread). Ubuntu (or maybe TDE) seems to have 2 versions of gtk installed. Trouble is, I don't know how to determine which one to uninstall without breaking things...

Any thoughts?
    int main() {
    User chellrose;
    chellrose.insert_clever_signature();
    return 0;}

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Firefox randomly crashing

So apparently the error messages in terminal are slightly different depending on the crash. The one in my previous post occurred when Firefox just randomly crashed while I was browsing the web. Today I saved a file to my HD, and got this error message:

Code:
    (firefox:309): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_entry_get_text: assertion `GTK_IS_ENTRY (entry)' failed
    KCrash: crashing... crashRecursionCounter = 2
    [warn] epoll_wait: Bad file descriptor

#### That line is repeated a bunch of times (estimate ~50), then

KCrash: Application Name = gtk-qt-application path = <unknown> pid = 309

[1]+  Segmentation fault      firefox
    Almost exactly like the last one, but not quite. The only difference I observe is the 50 or so lines of "[warn] epoll_wait: Bad file descriptor". But hopefully that is helpful.

Firefox was updated today, and the problem still exists.
    int main() {
    User chellrose;
    return 0;}

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Arrow Re: Firefox randomly crashing

Was hopeful that the last few rounds of Firefox updates would have fixed this, but no such luck.
    int main() {
    User chellrose;
    return 0;}

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Firefox randomly crashing

Not trying to unnecessarily bump an old thread, but I didn't find this issue anywhere else on UF. In case anyone else should ever have the aforementioned Firefox-crashing problem in TDE: Here's the solution, straight from their website:

kgtk-qt3-trinity can cause certain applications to crash. If you experience crashes try removing this package, but note that you will lose TDE open/save dialogs in all applications.
    Of course, removing this package results in several other weird quirks in various programs, but I haven't found any yet that have a significant negative impact on my computing experience.
    int main() {
    User chellrose;
    return 0;}