Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the best way to rip CDs?

Hybrid View

Beans

What's the best way to rip CDs?

This has been triggered off by "What music player to use?" which I was just reading.

I hardly ever listen on the computer, but use it to rip my CD collection, to listen to on MP3 players.

I used to rip CDs with MS Multimedia Player. Not very flexible, but it usually found the track information.

I ripped one recently with RhythmBox, and it abjectly failed to find the CD metadata on the Web (though to be fair it was an audio book, so not exactly mainstream).

Now I'm looking at things with new eyes, I wondered if I should even be trying to use a "music player" for ripping. From my Ubuntu experience so far, I wonder if there are programs that do nothing but rip CDs perfectly, with a huge range of options.

What do you recommend?

Beans

Re: What's the best way to rip CDs?

xfburn

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I use abcde.

It's a command line tool but it's easy enough to set up how you want, you just need to edit the well documented abcde.conf file.

I've got it set up to look up the track information, and then encode into flac files which are saved in the correct folder structure in my Music folder. All I have to do is open a terminal and type:
    Code:
    abcde
    In case you're wondering why I don't use a graphical application, I don't have an optical drive in my workstation. All of my encoding is done on my headless fileserver, I just ssh over and run the command.
    Cheesemill

Beans

I installed abcde, and it picked up the CD information, no problem.
    Simple to configure and use, and it does good VBR encoding via Lame.

Thanks for the ideas. Another one solved!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Raphicerus View Post
    I installed abcde, and it picked up the CD information, no problem.
    Simple to configure and use, and it does good VBR encoding via Lame.
    Perhaps have a look at an old page of mine for a guide to getting a decent config file:

http://www.andrews-corner.org/abcde.html

In an interesting development newer versions of abcde will be using eyed3 to write the mp3 tags. This is not reflected in the page above but will be soon...
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Perhaps have a look at an old page of mine for a guide to getting a decent config file:

http://www.andrews-corner.org/abcde.html

In an interesting development newer versions of abcde will be using eyed3 to write the mp3 tags. This is not reflected in the page above but will be soon...
    I've bookmarked that page - thanks, Andrew. The configuration probably does need some fine tuning.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by edeneen View Post
    xfburn
    Isn't xfburn just for burning CD's?
    Cheesemill

Beans

I find Grip works pretty well, takes some getting used to, but does just about everything you need it to. You can find it in the software center.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by mansonfan78 View Post
    I find Grip works pretty well, takes some getting used to, but does just about everything you need it to. You can find it in the software center.
    No its not in apt or the software center anymore, unless you have some 3rd party source in your apt or something. Grip is unfortunately no longer distributed through normal Ubuntu repositories. I think this has been the case for a few years now.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    Isn't xfburn just for burning CD's?
    no, Xfburn is a simple CD/DVD burning tool based on libburnia libraries. It can blank CD/DVD(-RW)s, burn and create iso images, audio CDs, as well as burn personal compositions of data to either CD or DVD. It Is stable, and under ongoing development.

from; http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/applications/xfburn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast