Thread: Installing Ubuntu Server on an iMac

Beans

Installing Ubuntu Server on an iMac

I have an iMac running Mac OS X 10.7.2 (Lion) and I need to install Ubuntu Server on it. I downloaded the ISO, and tried installing it like I would any other linux distro, but unfortunately Lion is unable to mount the ISO, giving the error, "No mountable filesystems." This is due to the fact that Ubuntu ISOs are hybrid, which Lion is unable to mount (http://askubuntu.com/questions/15383...os-in-mac-os-x.) I have tried every way I know how to install Ubuntu. I tried burning the ISO to a disk, but it fails because Lion can't mount it. I have no access to any other machines to burn the disk there. Same goes for making a USB drive. I tried following the instructions here to boot off the ISO using the ISO-2-USB EFI Booter. When I tried using that it booted, text flashed to fast to read, then nothing but a black screen. Also, I tried using unetbootin. I got to the grub interface but I had no idea what to do from there. How can I install this on my iMac?

UPDATE: I booted of the usb created with ISO-2-USB EFI booter but now I'm stuck at the GRUB interface and I have no idea what to do next
    Last edited by DontTurnAround; August 28th, 2012 at 11:10 PM. Reason: update