Thread: cron runs only through `service cron`, can't view logs

Beans

cron runs only through `service cron`, can't view logs

Hey there, I have a virtual server that runs Ubuntu 12 and I have a problem with cron.
    The OS was basically naked when I got the server so I never had to install cron, it was there from the beginning.

I can start / restart / stop cron via service cron `option`, but whenever I try to simply run sudo cron I get a

Code:
    cron: can't lock /var/run/crond.pid, otherpid may be 14560: Resource temporarily unavailable
    Before I ran service cron start I had no cron or crond process running. Now I have:

Code:
    $ ps ax | grep cron
    > 14560 ?        Ss     0:00 cron
    > 14727 pts/0    S+     0:00 grep --color=auto cron
    I put a test task in crontab:

Code:
    * * * * * touch touch_me.txt
    And I could see that the file is touched every minute, but I also have a task in my crontab that is supposed to make weekly backups of a selected database:

Code:
    30 21 * * 2 mysqldump -u root --password=[le_password] le_database | gzip > backup/le_database_`date +'%m-%d-%Y'`.sql.gz
    To my knowledge (and I have only started using cron today) it should fire on each tuesday, at 9:30PM, but I haven't seen it make an automatic sqldump yet, so I'd like to know why it didn't work, but there's no way I can read the logs.

The file /var/log/cron does not exist, even tho cron was obviously touching the file mentioned previously.

Can you tell me what am I doing wrong?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: cron runs only through `service cron`, can't view logs

Quote Originally Posted by ellmo View Post
    To my knowledge (and I have only started using cron today) it should fire on each tuesday, at 9:30PM, but I haven't seen it make an automatic sqldump yet, so I'd like to know why it didn't work, but there's no way I can read the logs.

The file /var/log/cron does not exist, even tho cron was obviously touching the file mentioned previously.
    I agree with 9:30pm on Tuesday.

With the default Ubuntu install, the job details are logged in /var/log/syslog and an entry also goes to /var/log/auth.log, However, syslog can be configured to do otherwise.