Thread: Precise xswat nvidia driver 304.43 big problem

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Precise xswat nvidia driver 304.43 big problem

Well, I installed the xswat PPA in Quantal and the latest driver 304.43 which just came out yesterday and is now in the xswat repository.
    So, I figured I could install it in Precise as well. WRONG.

I installed the PPA and Key and then the nvidia-current module which was the 304.43 driver.
    Rebooted and had a black screen. Luckily I multi-boot so I was able to look at some things.
    I had nvidia-current-upgrades installed version 295.49 before this.
    Rebooted and got into recovery mode. Had to select Network first, then root shell.
    I entered sudo apt-get purge nvidia-current and when it was removed, I entered sudo reboot.
    I booted back into Precise and 295.49 was still there!

Definitely did not want to have to do another clean install and am happy I got Precise back.

Not sure if I did anything wrong. Maybe I was supposed to purge nvidia-current-updates or purge nvidia* before installing nvidia-current.
    But, that may have resulted in requiring a clean install.

Anyway I am throwing this out there in case any one else has the same issue.
    In Precise, I am staying away from the xswat ppa.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Precise xswat nvidia driver 304.43 big problem

you need to make your choice of nvidia-current-updates or nvidia-current, not both indeed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    you need to make your choice of nvidia-current-updates or nvidia-current, not both indeed.
    So, what exactly should I have done differently?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Just in case, feel free to give a try using my script and let me know if it works for you

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

D'oh! I removed nvidia-current-updates via Synaptic and installed nvidia current. Wondered why conky didn't display GPU version 304.43 or the temperature.

Removed and re-installed nvidia-settings and problem solved.
    You were correct dino99. Just figured by installing one it would remove the other.
    You live and learn...

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi!, Cavsfan,

On my computer nvidia 304.43, downloaded from nvidia.com runs sweetly on Precise, both 12.04 & 12.0-4.1 but not when downloaded from XSwat as nvidia-current.

But then I have never found the Xswat drivers work on my set-up since the 295.40 catastrophe, so I dont trust it.

Running nvidia-installer -f, or sh NVIDIA.xx.xx.xxx.run -f does un-install any existing nvidia driver - or tries to - whereas with nvidia-current you have to deactivate or remove --purge the previous version - whatever its name - before installing another, whether from a PPA, with Additional Drivers, or Synaptic.

Chao!, bogan.
    Last edited by bogan; August 31st, 2012 at 07:35 PM. Reason: spelling
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Hi!, Cavsfan,

On my computer nvidia 304.43, downloaded from nvidia.com runs sweetly on Precise, both 12.04 & 12.0-4.1 but not when downloaded from XSwat as nvidia-current.

But then I have never found the Xswat drivers work on my set-up since the 295.40 catastrophe, so I dont trust it.

Running nvidia-installer -f, or sh NVIDIA.xx.xx.xxx.run -f does un-install any existing nvidia driver - or tries to - whereas with nvidia-current you have to deactivate or remove --purge the previous version - whatever its name - before installing another, whether from a PPA, with Additional Drivers, or Synaptic.

Chao!, bogan.
    Thanks bogan!
    I'm just going to stick with the nvidia-current that is in the repositories. I borked a couple of partitions and have
    spent the last couple of days re-installing Precise and Quantal. I tried using the xswat ppa in Precise and ended up
    installing it again. Precise sure is slow until you get that nvidia-current driver loaded!
    So I guess I too am not going to mess with the xswat ppa any more.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Paneas View Post
    Just in case, feel free to give a try using my script and let me know if it works for you
    How can I do that without GUI, just tty interface???

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Joherrer View Post
    How can I do that without GUI, just tty interface???
    This thread is solved. You should open up a new thread as you will probably get more attention that way.