I recently turfed my Windows media centre in favour of Ubuntu Linux workstation with XBMC installed for my new media centre. It works perfectly! My system is a Dell Inspiron 530, which is connected to my Samsung 42" LCD TV (I would be more specific with the TV model number, but I'm at my office right now and don't have that information, though could post it later if necessary).

My problem is, if I don't use my media centre for a day or two, I will come back to it, switch my TV to the PC source and about 1/4 of the screen on the right hand side is a black vertical bar, and my Ubuntu desktop has been moved over to the left side of the display. I'm not sure why this happens, and I'm not sure how to fix it, so I have to reboot the computer to get it back to a normal display.

This would indicate that somehow, something has caused the resolution to change. I'd like to know if anyone else out there is experiencing this same problem? Is it a Ubuntu problem with the TV, or the TV's problem with the computer? It never happened with Windows.

It's kind of annoying because I have to reboot every time this happens. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Dan