Thread: No network connection Virtualbox

Beans

No network connection Virtualbox

Hi,

I'm running 12.10 but run a Windows XP VM through Virtualbox and it all worked perfectly until last week, the VM opens correctly and functions properly but the only issue is the network connection as it says its connected but can't see any network drives or load any web pages. I haven't made any changes to the VM but I have installed updates on Ubuntu and i'm wondering if this has caused the issue?
    I am willing to supply more information if needed

Thanks

Beans

Re: No network connection Virtualbox

It only seems to have broken the NAT through Virtualbox, I have got it working through the Bridged Adapter option

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This will be down to a change in network manager's copy of dnsmasq changing the local DNS server from 127.0.0.1 to 127.0.1.1

I've been running another dnsmasq to listen on 127.0.0.1 and cache responses. I had to edit /etc/dnsmasq.d/network-manager and comment out except-interface=lo. If you don't have dnsmasq installed then the steps would be:

$ sudo apt-get install dnsmasq
    $ sudo nano /etc/dnsmasq.d/network-manager <- comment out except-interface=lo
    $ sudo nano /etc/dnsmasq.conf <- edit to your liking, e.g. change cache size from 150 to 1000.
    $ sudo service dnsmasq restart
    1) Dell Studio 1749: i5 540 (2.5GHz), 8GB, ATi 5650, Intel 5300AGN XFCE@Manjaro-x64
    2) Lenovo X61: C2D T7200, 2GB, Intel HDA, iwlwifi, XFCE@Manjaro-x64
    3) Compaq Mini 311c: Atom N270 (OC@2.0GHz), 3GB, Nvidia ION, Broadcom G+BT XFCE@13.10x32

Beans

Just came across this problem myself.

jfernyhough, thanks for you instructions. I installed dnsmasq but then I couldn't find anything recognisable in the configuration files you mention. However, upon trying my virtual machine again, it works!

So in summary, for me at least, installing dnsmasq was enough to fix the problem.

Beans
    Distro

Installing dnsmasq didn't fix the issue with me, sorry to say!
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q30X Intel i5-4670K 4.0GHz, SSDs, 16G RAM | Dell laptop E1505n, netbook 10n
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP Pro running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I noticed this problem myself in all my virtualbox machines. Changing from NAT to Bridge Adapter in the virtual machine network configuration seems to solve it, at least for me.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by wgarcia View Post
    I noticed this problem myself in all my virtualbox machines. Changing from NAT to Bridge Adapter in the virtual machine network configuration seems to solve it, at least for me.
    Okay, will give it a try! Thanks!

LATER: Didn't work, ah, well!
    Last edited by fjgaude; October 9th, 2012 at 08:26 PM.
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q30X Intel i5-4670K 4.0GHz, SSDs, 16G RAM | Dell laptop E1505n, netbook 10n
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP Pro running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jaydrury1992 View Post
    Hi,

I'm running 12.10 but run a Windows XP VM through Virtualbox and it all worked perfectly until last week, the VM opens correctly and functions properly but the only issue is the network connection as it says its connected but can't see any network drives or load any web pages. I haven't made any changes to the VM but I have installed updates on Ubuntu and i'm wondering if this has caused the issue?
    I am willing to supply more information if needed

Thanks
    Perhaps it's the same problem with the same solution as below:
    Re: Ubuntu 12.10 Beta 1: VBox RC4 NAT not working Postby pwzhangz » 15. Sep 2012, 23:45
    trekfan1 wrote:Navigation from the GUEST is not working, browser responding: impossible to connect etc.,
    Open a terminal and try this:
    VBoxManage modifyvm "VMNamexxx" --natdnshostresolver1 on
    VMNamexxx is the name of your VM machine. pwzhangz
    Last edited by NZjelle; October 9th, 2012 at 09:08 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jfernyhough View Post
    This will be down to a change in network manager's copy of dnsmasq changing the local DNS server from 127.0.0.1 to 127.0.1.1

I've been running another dnsmasq to listen on 127.0.0.1 and cache responses. I had to edit /etc/dnsmasq.d/network-manager and comment out except-interface=lo. If you don't have dnsmasq installed then the steps would be:

$ sudo apt-get install dnsmasq
    $ sudo nano /etc/dnsmasq.d/network-manager <- comment out except-interface=lo
    $ sudo nano /etc/dnsmasq.conf <- edit to your liking, e.g. change cache size from 150 to 1000.
    $ sudo service dnsmasq restart
    Thanks for this, I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out why my WinXP VM wasn't able to access webpages, despite apparently having a connection. I only had to install dnsmasq, none of the other steps were necessary. For those still trying to get it to work, I wish you luck, I know how annoying it is when things don't work correctly.