Thread: lemur color calibration

Beans

lemur color calibration

I'm just getting set up on a new lemur ultra. It seems to me that the colors on the display are washed out. I've looked at all the display intensity levels, but the washed-out effect is present at all light levels. There are references to calibrating the colors of the monitor (sorry, I forget where I saw that), but the choices are the system76 driver, which is in use, or a custom set of calibrations. Is there a description of how to set up color calibrations? A tool to help do it?

Thanks for any info!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: lemur color calibration

Quote Originally Posted by even5 View Post
    I'm just getting set up on a new lemur ultra. It seems to me that the colors on the display are washed out. I've looked at all the display intensity levels, but the washed-out effect is present at all light levels. There are references to calibrating the colors of the monitor (sorry, I forget where I saw that), but the choices are the system76 driver, which is in use, or a custom set of calibrations. Is there a description of how to set up color calibrations? A tool to help do it?

Thanks for any info!
    It's not the most precise approach, but I just use xgamma to tweak the gamma until the colors seem less washed out. In my case, I set the gamma to 0.7.

Beans

The "xgamma -gamma 0.5" command does improve things a little, but there is still the effect of a white film over the screen. It is like the effect when editing the colors in a photo in digikam, and setting the brightness and/or gamma high without setting the contrast higher.

I'll keep looking. Thanks for the suggestion.

Beans

I find that the angle of the laptop screen makes a big difference -- if it is tilted back more than I expected, the colors are intense and clear. I think this issue is solved.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool, thanks. I'm still trying to learn about these different types of displays, but based on personal experience, the matte display on my Thinkpad T410i is significantly better than the glossy one on the lemU4, in terms of being susceptible to the angle of the screen as well as the "washed out colors" issue. Hopefully, the lemU5 will come with a better screen!