Thread: Adding a font

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Adding a font

I am currently using Libre Office in another major OS. I'm going to transition to Ubuntu 10.04, then 12.04. In Presenter, I'm using the Papyrus font for some slides. I'd like to use the same or a similar font in Ubuntu. I'm not sure where to look for this sort of thing. IIRC, Linux uses PostScript fonts, but I'm not sure.

When I installed ubuntu-restricted-extras for another reason, a bunch of True Type Fonts were installed via ttf-mscorefonts-installer, but not Papyrus. Not sure where I got it but it's in both XP and Vista. (Sorry, I hope I never again see Vista.)

I did a search for fonts and papyrus here first, but came up with nothing useful.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Adding a font

Quote Originally Posted by parl8256 View Post
    I am currently using Libre Office in another major OS. I'm going to transition to Ubuntu 10.04, then 12.04. In Presenter, I'm using the Papyrus font for some slides. I'd like to use the same or a similar font in Ubuntu. I'm not sure where to look for this sort of thing. IIRC, Linux uses PostScript fonts, but I'm not sure.

When I installed ubuntu-restricted-extras for another reason, a bunch of True Type Fonts were installed via ttf-mscorefonts-installer, but not Papyrus. Not sure where I got it but it's in both XP and Vista. (Sorry, I hope I never again see Vista.)

I did a search for fonts and papyrus here first, but came up with nothing useful.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
    Find a free download on the internet. Double click it and select "install font" from the font viewer program. It's just as simple as with Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Adding a font

The mscorefonts installer only installs the core Microsoft fonts (Times New Roman, Arial, etc.)

Downloading it isn't necessary, since you already have it on your Windows setup. Copy the font to a thumb drive. Then you can install it in Ubuntu with the font viewer program.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!