Thread: Linux As A Firewall

Beans

Angry Linux As A Firewall

I know, from experience, that Linux Servers are used in many commercial settings as a firewall for Windows computers. So coomes my question, I seldom use any Windows apps today but am setting up one for a friend in business and I need to know in placing it inside Vbox on an Ubuntu unit makes it safer?

Thanks for any and all replies in advance.
    Last edited by CharlesA; August 28th, 2012 at 07:02 PM. Reason: windoze

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Linux As A Firewall

Nope, not by itself.

There are lots of guides to create
    * a secure network
    * a locked down Linux
    * a locked down MS-Windows
    * a router
    * a firewall
    * an IPS/IDS

You can do these things inside virtual machines if you like, but some things like firewalls and routers are best inside dedicated hardware. Sure, you could build them inside a VM and it might be more secure than without them, but the ability to make a tiny mistake and not have any security exists.

Every OS should run a firewall, even if there's a network-based firewall. Whenever possible a network firewall should be used too.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Linux As A Firewall

TheFu pretty much covered it.

A VM is as safe or as vulnerable as a physical machine. Lock it down if you want to limit the risk.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

snapshots

There is one big advantage to running such an insecure system inside a virtual machine: snapshots. You can roll back to a known good snapshot and have a fresh start any time you want it. It could even be every time. That's a huge advantage over having it on a regular machine and having to wipe and reinstall (thus removing 3rd party apps, too) each time a clean slate is needed.