Thread: diffrence between propritary and open source drivers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

diffrence between propritary and open source drivers.

I have always wanted to know what the difference was and how it effects the Linux community.
    Motherboard: MSI 890GXM-G65
    Videocard: Radeon HD5850 1GB
    Ram: 2x 4GB DDR3-1333 Single
    Processor: AMD Phenom II x6 1055T Tray

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: diffrence between propritary and open source drivers.

Well the difference is in the way they are licenced and programmed basically..

The code for the open source drivers are just that, they can be modified and worked on by any amount of people, improved (or forgotten) by the community at large. They "sometimes" lack features that are in the proprietary drivers though (mostly due to the lack of help/communication from the companys). They are free to distribute and often are covered by the GPL (General Public Licence) which means that the drivers are protected by law, but the licence they use is non-obtrusive and looks out for the rights of the users and developers.

Proprietary drivers are built behind closed doors, you are not allowed to modify or edit the code they use, unless given express permission (depending on the terms of the licence). They often have very strong licences and do little to protect the "users" of the software, but are bullet proof for the actual companys.

The effect on the community by and large depends on who you talk to and their personal approach.

Die hard GNU/Linux advocates would probably go with a "open-source" driver and never put a thought to having the proprietary on the system (because of the licence and the way the companys handle them).

General GNU/Linux Users, well mostly they would prefer the open-source drivers but realise there isn't much that can be done without the companys helping, so they except the proprietary drivers, but they don't really enjoy having to use them.

We also have another bunch that I would call "new users" but often they have been around a while, they just don't care aslong as something works and does what it's meant to do.

This can cause tension between groups, but upto now it's caused little fuss (overall).

Thats just my way of thinking on the subject. Not sure if anyone else would agree.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: diffrence between propritary and open source drivers.

That is great info. I never knew their was so much into it. I know enough now about Ubuntu and how to set my boxes to how I want them on Linux and now I want to "dip the toes in water" learn how to develop and contribute to the community. the big part is Graphics...as I am a gamer.
    Motherboard: MSI 890GXM-G65
    Videocard: Radeon HD5850 1GB
    Ram: 2x 4GB DDR3-1333 Single
    Processor: AMD Phenom II x6 1055T Tray