Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Word/Excel in Ubuntu

Beans

Word/Excel in Ubuntu

I'm someone who regularly uses Word and Excel. I'm forced to used these programs at school and work so I'm wondering how I'll be able to access files at home on Ubuntu. Does LibreOffice read/write docx and xlsx files without any errors or would I be better off just using Excel and Word through Wine?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Word/Excel in Ubuntu

LibreOffice does an ok job in opening those files. Sharing them with people in situations where both of you edit the files continuously is an issue though because between Office not implementing their own format correctly and they not documenting it well, there is high probability of small changes between a program to the other.

If you need very good MSOFfice document format compatibility, I would recommend VirtualBox and run MSOffice in there. (With things like seamless windows and easy sharing between host machine and guest it is not very painful to do) . Perhaps WINE can do an ok job to do.

Worst case scenario, you might need to dual boot.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vexorian View Post
    LibreOffice does an ok job in opening those files. Sharing them with people in situations where both of you edit the files continuously is an issue though because between Office not implementing their own format correctly and they not documenting it well, there is high probability of small changes between a program to the other.

If you need very good MSOFfice document format compatibility, I would recommend VirtualBox and run MSOffice in there. (With things like seamless windows and easy sharing between host machine and guest it is not very painful to do) . Perhaps WINE can do an ok job to do.

Worst case scenario, you might need to dual boot.
    Thanks for the response.

Why do you recommend VirtualBox above Wine? Is it your preference for running any Windows programs in Ubuntu?

I'm currently dual booting, but would like to move to only Ubuntu eventually. I suppose it's not a big deal though to have two operating systems on one computer.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by coloreporter View Post
    I'm someone who regularly uses Word and Excel. I'm forced to used these programs at school and work so I'm wondering how I'll be able to access files at home on Ubuntu. Does LibreOffice read/write docx and xlsx files without any errors or would I be better off just using Excel and Word through Wine?

The biggest issue is when macros and/or VBA is involved. If you use excel sheets that require macros in the calculations you will have issues using/editing them in Calc.

If you just do basic spreadsheet calculations it'll convert pretty well. I haven't ran into much problem with Word and Writer compatibility. However I will admit, I rarely use writer.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the response.

Why do you recommend VirtualBox above Wine? Is it your preference for running any Windows programs in Ubuntu?

I'm currently dual booting, but would like to move to only Ubuntu eventually. I suppose it's not a big deal though to have two operating systems on one computer.
    I like WINE better, but it has less success with complex GUI apps. And MSO are the epitome of apps that have issues running in WINE.

VirtualBox I don't like, because it is almost like dual boot (you need a windows license). But I know that for things that do not use a lot of GPU, it works great. So you will be more likely to have a 100% good experience without random crashes or glitches and since it is basically running inside windows, results would be identical.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Exclamation Re: Word/Excel in Ubuntu

Why do you recommend VirtualBox above Wine?
    Wine installs a lot of dependencies....... Virtual box is best for windows apps. Wine is probably better for games....
    Intel Core2Duo 2.20 GHz || 4 GB DDR3 RAM
    nVidia GT 240M 1 GB || 320 GB SATA Hard Disk

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Why do you recommend VirtualBox above Wine?
    Virtualbox is used to run a 100% authentic copy of Windows, so you can guarantee Windows apps will work perfectly. The downside is that it consumes a lot of resources, since you're running two operating systems at once.

Wine is a native Linux app, so doesn't gobble the resources as much, but it's pretty hit-and-miss how well an individual Windows program will run under it.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Ravi5kumar View Post
    Wine installs a lot of dependencies....... Virtual box is best for windows apps. Wine is probably better for games....
    Meh, the dependencies are not a big deal really. (And in reality, since Virtual Box requires a whole different OS, it needs a lot more dependencies )

Also I am gonna bet you are under a 64bit ubuntu, most of the dependencies are actually libraries that you already have installed, but they are the 32bit support version (WINE is a 32 bit app).

Beans

Thanks for the response.

Virtualbox, using MS Windows, is really the ONLY way to guarantee full compatibility with MS Office files. MS Word files using the .docx extension have problems being rendered and updated properly in anything other than MS Word. So, if that is important to you on a daily basis, you really have no useful alternative than to use MS Office in MS Windows.

Great goal -- but impractical as long as you remain dependent on MS Office apps (or other MS Windows apps) that only run properly in MS Windows. Lots of us continue to dual-boot just for this reason.
    Ubuntu 15.04 Mate, Mint 17.1; MS Win 8.1, Win10 TP.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Thanks for the responses.

I would very much like to work in the Linux equivalent programs, but don't have that option as I work with others that don't. I use macros and other more advanced functions so absolute compatibility is essential.

It sounds like my best bet is to continue dual booting. I can use Windows for programs like Office, Photoshop, AutoCAD, and Matlab and Ubuntu for everything else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast