Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12.04.1-alt-amd64 fails integrity test

Beans

12.04.1-alt-amd64 fails integrity test

1. Download ISO
    2. Verify MD5 hash (GOOD)
    3. Copy to USB drive (tried Unetbootin and Live Linux USB Creator, also tried two usb drives)
    4. boot and run Integrity Test
    5. (FAILED) The ./pool/main/x/xserver-xorg-video-ati/xserver-xorg-video-ati_614.99~git20111219.aacbd629-0ubuntu2_amd64.deb file failed the MD5 checksum verification.

Thoughts? I'm at a loss I've verified the ISO, and the USB drives to be good. It's only the alternative CD I'm having problems with.

[EDIT] I also tried http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily/curr...nate-amd64.iso (Aug 24th). And It fails the integrity check as well:
    xserver-xorg-video-radeon_6.99.99~git20120713.6ef1ad6a-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb

Thanks,
    Zach
    Last edited by znorris; August 26th, 2012 at 05:03 PM. Reason: updated test info

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: 12.04.1-alt-amd64 fails integrity test

What happens when you try to install it? Choose the 'nomodset' option, from memory, by hitting F6 at the install screen.

* If you want to be certain grab the torrent file and get the ISO that way. The MD5sum is checked on the way.

Beans

I get:
    "Installation step failed"
    An installation step failed. You can try to run the failing item again from the menu, or skip it and choose something else. The failing step is: Select and install software

Syslog:

Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable distribution that some required packages have not yet been created or been moved out of incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    xserver-xorg-video-all : Depends: xserver-xorg-video-ati but it is not installable
    Depends: xserver-xorg-video-nouveau but it is not installable
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Are you selecting the software to install? Doesn't look that way. It's asking for things you haven't installed. I've got it right you are using the alternate ISO? It is different to a regular desktop install. May I ask why you're taking this path? To learn more about Ubuntu/Linux?

Also, again, you may need to set the 'nomodset' option before installing.

Beans

I'm not selecting anything it's just part of the normal installation process.
    Yes I'm using the alt install. The reason is to utilize encrypted LVM.

I'm not sure how nomodeset will help. It's not until I've setup a usr, partitioned and started installing packages that the installation fails (the graphical installation works fine, which I believe is what nomodeset is used to fix).
    [EDIT] Even though I didn't think it would help I did try 'nomodeset'. Install fails as usual.
    The real problem is the ATI package is failing an integrity check but the ISO is not. Perhaps this ATI package is bad in the repository?
    Last edited by znorris; August 26th, 2012 at 07:30 PM.

Beans

I'm able to replicate this over and over again so I went ahead and submitted a bug report.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1041911

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Why don't you just install packages? That is what the alt install is for, which is what I'm saying.

Code:
    sudo apt-get fglrx fglrx-amdcccle
    ... will Install the ATI packages. You should make a list of what you want on your system then install that after the base install has finished and it asks; 'What packages do you want to install' or whatever. Please read up here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation

And here:

http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Ubuntu-Linux

On reboot you should be looking at a command line system (which is what is supposed to happen as you haven't installed a DE yet):

Code:
    sudo apt-get install xorg xterm wdm fluxbox
    ... replacing fluxbox with the DE of your choice ...

To this you might add 'brasero gcc git synaptics gimp' ... whatever you like. As I say, plan this. Good luck.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; August 27th, 2012 at 04:23 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

try using the boot flags at boot up

Beans

Thanks for your suggestions!

* I used Live Linux USB Creator to create a bootable 12.04.1-desktop-amd64 drive.
    * I then used that ubuntu install (on second thought leaving it in live mode would have been smarter).
    * Then used dd to copy the alt iso to the usb drive.
    * I then booted that drive, ran a disk check which completed successfully.
    * Installation went fine.

What the hell? I'm confused because while I would be happy to blame windows it still doesn't make any sense. Why would it always be the ATI deb file that was corrupted? I tried multiple drives so that couldn't have been it.

So if you're having odd problems like me, try booting into linux and making the USB drive with dd instead of fancy GUI apps.

If anyone has thoughts I would love to hear them. I'm really scratching my head here, it's working but this will drive me nuts.

Beans

I can verify that I had the same problem with creating a live USB with the AMD 64 alternate Ubuntu 12.04 and 12.04.1 images

I didn't have a working linux box to use to make the live USB with 'dd' but I was able to successfully use OSX to achieve the same thing.

I had trouble finding a good post on how to do this (I found several conflicting instuctions), so here's what I did:

Code:
    diskutil list
    insert usb drive

Code:
    diskutil list
    check what the DRIVE address for the USB is, mine was /dev/disk2

Code:
    diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk2

sudo dd if=/path/to/ubuntu-12.04.1-alternate-amd64.iso of=/dev/disk2 bs=1m

distutil eject
    and you're good to go.

Thank you very much znorris, I struggled with this on and off for a couple of weeks and made no progress until I found this thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast