Thread: Xen GPU passthrough

Beans

Question Xen GPU passthrough

Hay anyone know if the Xen GPU passthrough or HDX works in the Xen Hypervisor kernel and if this kernel can be compiled to use Ubuntu as the host.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Xen GPU passthrough

Have you read the documentation?
    http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_PCI_Passthrough

PCI passthrough is a standard feature of Xen, so should work fine with a standard Xen setup.

The first question is do your CPU and motherboard actually support PCI passthrough?
    Your CPU needs to either have VT-d (Intel) or IOMMU (AMD) extensions as well as a motherboard that supports them.
    Cheesemill

Beans

I have a dual procsessor quad core Intel server, a Acer aspire laptop with a core two from Intel and a Zotac with a quad core Intel. All have NVIDEA graphics cards. I don't know if they sopport PCI passthrough ore not.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Look up your specific Intel processors on the Intel Ark site and see if they support the VT-d extension.
    http://ark.intel.com/

Then look up your specific motherboards on the relevant manufacturers site and see if they support the VT-d extension.

I'm pretty sure that PCI passthrough is only supported on the later Xeon processors though.
    Cheesemill

Beans

The server looks OK for VT-D but not the others. Do I have any options? I was hoping to install Windows for some games that don't work on Wine, I have heard of some virtualization software's that use the CPU as a GPU rather then pass through to real hardware. Is that an option with Xen? I know the passthrough offers more transparency to hardware and faster speed but by how much compared to others?

And thanks for your promptness by the way.