Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Network: device not managed

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Network: device not managed

Hello everybody,

I upgraded to Xubuntu 9.04 yesterday, and it works very well. However, there is a cross at my network button. When I hover over the icon, it says:

Wired network
    Device not managed
    As you see, I still have access to the internet, but maybe it can become a problem in the future?

Can anyone help me? Thanks already

Mark
    Last edited by mark0495; April 21st, 2009 at 11:31 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Network: device not managed

Same problem here.

When I change managed=false to managed=true in /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf I lose internet connectivity. I also get this warning when I restart networking after changing managed=false to managed=true :
    WARNING: ifup -a is disabled in favour of NetworkManager.
    Set ifupdown:managed=false in /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf.
    Does anyone know how to fix this?
    Last edited by Floppyjoe; April 29th, 2009 at 05:31 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I've got the same thing on a fresh install of 9.04-amd64 with a Thinkpad T61p. The network device is a: 00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82566MM Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03). Oddly enough, my wireless connection works great.

To get around the problem, I have to manually re-init my wired connection periodically by running "sudo dhclient eth0" in a command prompt.

I've previously used 8.10-amd64 and Fedora 10-amd64 on this laptop, and Network Manager worked perfectly in those, so I think this is a 9.04-specific regression.

Beans

I think I may be having the same problem. I'd file a bug, but I'm not too sure what's wrong. Someone else could though.

Beans

I have the same problem. Can someone please help asp?
    Thanks

Beans

I am a beginner with Ubuntu. After upgrading to jaunty, I have no network connection. The network icon, the rising columns, shows a small red box with an "x"--unlikely a good sign. I have gone through the steps in the help files. The problem seems deeper. Any ideas?

Beans

I have the same problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Same problem here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This thread looks a bit similar http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1169604.

Try the old fashioned was of getting the networking to work;
    the command line!

Beans

I got my networking together after a couple days of fighting.....yehaw. I'm just going to go through the whole spiel, and hopefully it will help someone.

I was upgrading from 8.04LTS, to 8.10 which hosed my network connections.

I got it to work well enough, by editing the /etc/network/interfaces file, and switching my eth1 (The connection that I should have been using), to etho, to look like the following:

/etc/network/interfaces
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
    # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
    iface eth0 inet dhcp
    auto eth0

#iface eth1 inet dhcp
    #auto eth1
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After rebooting, I found that I couldn't load pages from my local apache server. But I could connect to the outside world fine.

I then upgraded to 9.04, which should have fixed the issues, but it didn't.

I switched once again edited /etc/network/interfaces, uncommenting the eth1 line, while forgetting to recomment the eth0 lines. So when I rebooted, nm-applet showed a red x, and no managed connections....bummer. I could however use the network normally, and local pages were loading fine.

I went back, fixed the interfaces, so that eth1 was the only interface. Then edited /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf, and changed managed=false to managed = true.

/etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf
    [main]
    plugins=ifupdown,keyfile

[ifupdown]
    managed=true

After rebooting, all was well. I tried restarting the network, and the nm-applet, manually, but the applet would not restart without hanging, so I had to reboot.

Also, my nis server got hosed, so somewhere in here, I reinstalled that as well. I don't think that had anything to do with the applet being crazy, but ya never know.

Here are some of the somewhat helpful links I followed, trying to fix this...
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6814830
    http://www.craigmayhew.com/blog/2009...e-not-managed/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast