Thread: Launch Bash script from web page

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Launch Bash script from web page

I am setting a guest account that will run a browser opening a locally stored web page, the web page will be a nice little welcome thing. I also want it to have options to open other apps from that page, as I want to limit every thing else to basically nothing. so I'm guessing it will need to launch a bash script with a command for the app.

But how can I do this?

the web page won't be on a sever. it's only local.

otherwise could some give me an example of a basic python gui that opens full screen with a welcome message and buttons to run shell scripts or something along those line.
    Ubuntu 16.04 / Linux 18
    “To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it; to mess up your Windows
    box, you just need to work on it”.

Beans

Re: Launch Bash script from web page

Any application that the web server opens will be running with the permissions of the user under which the server runs. In apache on Ubuntu, that user is called "www-data". If you need to have users save files to private areas like their home directories, this is not going to be an easy thing to implement with a web server. You might be able to use apache's suexec features for this, though it creates substantial security issues.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Any application that the web server opens will be running with the permissions of the user under which the server runs. In apache on Ubuntu, that user is called "www-data". If you need to have users save files to private areas like their home directories, this is not going to be an easy thing to implement with a web server. You might be able to use apache's suexec features for this, though it creates substantial security issues.
    Except i'm not running it on a web sever. The web page is a local file that is opened in a python-webkit browser when the guest user logs in. the browse is full screen and can't be closed by the user. there is no other interface as it's a restricted Kiosk but I want to make the local web page act as a welcome screen as well as an application launcher for other apps such as a calculator, word processor, etc.
    Ubuntu 16.04 / Linux 18

Beans
    Distro

I realize that I'm probably asking the impossible, so can someone at least give me an example of a simple gui interface that can have a welcome message followed by some app buttons that will launch command. That can be full screen and lightweight.

I don't know much on building gui's. I've used Zenity in the past, but I don't think I can get it to do what it want.
    Ubuntu 16.04 / Linux 18