Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fullscreen Youtube in Firefox Crashing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Exclamation Fullscreen Youtube in Firefox Crashing

Hey guys, so this has been going on for a long time but I am actually determined to fix it now...Basically, ever since upgrading to 12.04 LTS, watching fullscreen youtube videos (often in 720p or 1080p) will eventually crash Firefox/Flash and the workspace will just be frozen...

Audio will still work, but I basically have to switch workspaces, kill the firefox and plugin process, and then relaunch firefox. Sometimes happens in under 10 seconds after making the video fullscreen, sometimes 1-2 minutes. Using the latest firefox (14.0.1?) and flash.

Anyone have any ideas/suggestions? Anyone else experiencing this?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Fullscreen Youtube in Firefox Crashing

make sure hardware acceleration is disabled in flash
    you can use flash video replacer to make youtube play in a video player lice totem,vlc,smplayer
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    make sure hardware acceleration is disabled in flash
    you can use flash video replacer to make youtube play in a video player lice totem,vlc,smplayer
    Hardware acceleration is off and I need flash specifically. GPU is Nvidia if it makes any different.

Is nobody elses firefox/flash crashing when playing fullscreen 720p/1080p youtube videos??

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by d4m1r View Post
    Hardware acceleration is off and I need flash specifically. GPU is Nvidia if it makes any different.

Is nobody elses firefox/flash crashing when playing fullscreen 720p/1080p youtube videos??
    Clearing the cache in the browser has helped for me, a little. Other than that, it can be because running the video in full screen mode stresses both the CPU and the GPU and therefor if you don't have the necessary cooling in your case, that it causes freezes.

Other than the above, there could be something with the graphics driver as well.. Different versions of Ubuntu uses different versions of the nVidia driver which can explain why it works worse with the new version of Ubuntu, but it's really hard to tell exactly what the problem is.

To be sure that the issue has nothing to do with the Firefox web browser, you can try with other web browsers to see if it causes the same effect as from you have experienced here. Try Chrome would be my advice, it has flash inbuilt and does not use the version which you have installed in your Ubuntu system from what I know.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Debian 11 "Bullseye"
    HP Envy 2021 laptop
    Linux user since 1999.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by d4m1r View Post
    Disabling the plugin-container feature might improve performance and stability while playing flash videos in fullscreen mode.

http://www.faqforge.com/uncategorize...er-in-firefox/
    GNU/Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for the reply guys but;

1) CPU/RAM usage isn't even @ 50% when watching the video and I have a pretty powerful rig.

2) I have confirmed the latest proprietary Nvidia video driver is installed.

3) I have not tried this within Chromium under Ubuntu or in Windows 7 using the same hardware but I will if it pops up again.....

Luckily for me, I just updated to Firefox 15 and it looks like this is no longer an issue

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Looks like I spoke too soon....I was working for several mintues initially but now it's crashing as fast as it used to

I did narrow it down to plugin-container (and specifically flash most likely) however as killing the process and refresh the youtube page fixes Firefox, starts playing the video again, and relaunches an instance of plugin-container...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Hi ,
    try to open Firefox from terminal with this command
    Code:
    firefox -safe-mode
    and test it . If works well then some of your plugins-extensions crash the Firefox and you must find it.
    Thanks

Beans

I've had this problem since 10.04 on two different laptops with onboard intel graphics. I too am determined to fix it. Disabling the plugin container in firefox worked for me, but it made firefox crash way too much.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Ocasio101 View Post
    Disabling the plugin container in firefox worked for me, but it made firefox crash way too much.
    I assume you know that plugin container is adobe's flash player. When you disable flash player you are capable to see online videos (e.g: youtube) only via Html5 or Gnash .
    Html 5 wants a good CPU processor and Gnash player is not so good at this time.

Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast