Thread: SSH to Virtual Machine

Beans

SSH to Virtual Machine

Hi,

what are the advantages to connect to VM via ssh from host operating system. I saw many tutorials about it, often it is first step after installing Linux on VM when someone wants to create development environment on VM. Why just don't use that VM like normal system?

Kind regards,
    Daniel

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: SSH to Virtual Machine

Given that the VM runs on your local machine, direct access may be the easiest option. However, if the VM runs on another machine or on a server located in a data center, SSH may be the only option.

Beans

Yeah sure, but if it is the same machine...
    Even Youtube tutorial... I don't get it.

Beans

You can't cut/paste text or entire file contents in a linux console.
    You can't resize your linux console.

You can, however, do the above in an ssh session.....

This is just one advantage of using ssh.
    Last edited by TJet1.8; September 16th, 2012 at 03:45 AM. Reason: Spelling errors....

Beans
    Hidden!

ssh'ing into a VM I have installed locally allows me to use copy/cut/paste (clipboard) in terminal to manage the users or environment.
    Virtualbox does not have that feature at the moment. I cannot copy from the Host's clipboard into the Guest's clipboard, AFAIK.
    I have 3 brain cells left, and two of them have restraining orders.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Habitual View Post
    Virtualbox does not have that feature at the moment. I cannot copy from the Host's clipboard into the Guest's clipboard, AFAIK.
    Virtualbox has had guest/host bidirectional clipboard transfer for as many years as I can remember back.

Beans

If I run Vbox on a machine with a GUI, then I install the host extensions and use the Vbox GUI.

However, if the Vbox machine is on a server with no GUI on the other side of the planet, in a cupboard of basement toilet with a sign 'beware of the leopard', then SSH is pretty much the only option.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    If I run Vbox on a machine with a GUI, then I install the host extensions and use the Vbox GUI.

However, if the Vbox machine is on a server with no GUI on the other side of the planet, in a cupboard of basement toilet with a sign 'beware of the leopard', then SSH is pretty much the only option.
    Pretty much dead on.

I have ssh installed on all my *nix VMs, even if they are running a GUI. It is easier to manage a machine via SSH instead of having to login to the GUI and do some task such as checking and applying updates.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...