Thread: Unison; different versions on two machines = Fatal Error

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Unison; different versions on two machines = Fatal Error

Hi all,

Attempting to unite a folder on the desktop with a folder on the laptop using Unison. All goes well until the final bit when I get a fatal error that there is a version clash. Ya see, the desktop is running 10.04 and the laptop 12.04, thus Unison 2.2 (I think) and 2.40, respectively.

From my research I'm thinking there is no way to install 2.4 in 10.04 (attempted it but lacking dependencies I suspect; didn't take a lot of notice but it wouldn't 'make' or 'make install'). So I looked at installing the 3.2 kernel but couldn't figure it out.

Life doesn't hinge on this but would be nice to know if there was a way around it.

(PS: Am manually dumping stuff from one t'other using Filezilla and a new discovery I like more and more, bareFTP.)

(PPS: I have attempted to use the '-addversionno' option by adding it to the profile file like this:

Code:
    path = -addversionno
    Despite the fact I don't know what I'm doing with this and after many failed attempts, all goes well until same version mismatch error.)
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; August 24th, 2012 at 06:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Unison; different versions on two machines = Fatal Error

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Hi all,

Attempting to unite a folder on the desktop with a folder on the laptop using Unison. All goes well until the final bit when I get a fatal error that there is a version clash. Ya see, the desktop is running 10.04 and the laptop 12.04, thus Unison 2.2 (I think) and 2.40, respectively.

From my research I'm thinking there is no way to install 2.4 in 10.04 .......
    Do better research:

http://thanhsiang.org/faqing/node/163
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Please attempt to remain polite. I've actually spent frustrating hours on this and have already been over the ground you're suggesting pretty much (as outlined in post #1) with no success. 2.4 would not install for me on 10.04.

Quote Originally Posted by From Your Link
    I downloaded the 2.40 version and installed it at my remote server. The package can be found at the following site:
    https://launchpad.net/~pascal-bach/+archive/unison
    Done it. As explained, wouldn't install because 10.04 is lacking a dependency I presume (despite the fact it installed for the author of the link). Updating the system from that repository wouldn't work for the same reasons. That is why my next question, in post #1, was how to install the 3.2.** kernel in 10.04. That would have the dependencies for Unison 2.4.

I will go through what I have already done after the footy and take closer note of the errors. No fix and I will follow the steps on your link meticulously and post back.

If no good I'm thinking my only way around this is to install 12.04, which I really don't want to do right now so think I'll stick to the manual dump using bareFTP. It's not really a life-changer for me either way. But I'm certainly curious and it would be more convenient for what I'm doing.

* Yep, I added the repository and updated Unison to 2.4 on 10.04. I haven't tried a 'synthesis' yet, but presuming all will be fine. I was looking for a Unison repo early on but couldn't find, so thanks for digging that up. All in the search terms. Solved.

* A synchronisation throws errors about permissions on one of the machines.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; August 25th, 2012 at 02:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

For synchronizing folders on a local machine and external storage - I tried over USB, not over a network - Luckybackup looks pretty good. It may work over a network as well - I didn't test that. It has a synchronize function that did what it promised on a rudimentary test.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Convenient, worked straight away and I discovered it in my menu by accident: Gigilo. Mounts remote drives like they were local without having to fiddle with fstab. Cool.

Really slow - 40 seconds for 26Mb - is the only prob. It's not Unison but fine for what I want to do. Anyway to speed that up? I might have a dig.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Convenient, worked straight away and I discovered it in my menu by accident: Gigilo. Mounts remote drives like they were local without having to fiddle with fstab. Cool.

Really slow - 40 seconds for 26Mb - is the only prob. It's not Unison but fine for what I want to do. Anyway to speed that up? I might have a dig.