Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stallman and Disney

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Stallman and Disney

Quote Originally Posted by BigSilly View Post
    Disney...urrgh.
    You may be correct, but Disney is the 10,000 pound gorilla in the entertainment industry today. Besides their easily identifiable presence, they own the ABC network, ESPN, and Touchstone movies. I am sure they own even much more than these.

So what Disney does carries major weight.

As to the issue itself, my feeling is that someone higher up the chain instructed (ordered) the writers to work it into the show. I.e., it was planned propaganda and it deserves the attention it is getting.

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans

Re: Stallman and Disney

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    You may be correct, but Disney is the 10,000 pound gorilla in the entertainment industry today. Besides their easily identifiable presence, they own the ABC network, ESPN, and Touchstone movies. I am sure they own even much more than these.

So what Disney does carries major weight.

As to the issue itself, my feeling is that someone higher up the chain instructed (ordered) the writers to work it into the show. I.e., it was planned propaganda and it deserves the attention it is getting.

Tim
    Oh yeah. But, urrgh. I don't like them and anything they do. When you've read about them forcing children's hospitals to remove Disney images from their walls, such as Mickey etc, it leaves a nasty taste in the mouth. We need to look at how we empower these companies to be able to do things like this.
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Stallman and Disney

Quote Originally Posted by BigSilly View Post
    Oh yeah. But, urrgh. I don't like them and anything they do. When you've read about them forcing children's hospitals to remove Disney images from their walls, such as Mickey etc, it leaves a nasty taste in the mouth. We need to look at how we empower these companies to be able to do things like this.
    I agree. Like most media companies, they are bullies when it comes to copyright enforcement. This is even more of a reason why the issue at hand is important, and not an overblown reaction by the open source proponents.

Too many huge corporations have too much power over us in many ways. Big banks. Big food producers. Big oil. Big mining companies. Etc, etc.

We are losing our freedom and we need to try to defend it. That is my main point. I do not disagree with your point.

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    Kid almost looked like a little Bill Gates wannabe. Maybe that's why the "dig". Does he have a friend that looks like a monkey and throws chairs?
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

This thread and Stallmans reaction is rediculous, 99% of comedy shows make fun out of someone, some group,something or some place.

If one cannot laugh at ones self you have the problem. Also any coverage is good advertising.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

As reliant as Disney is on technology, I don't see this as some sort of underlying attack. I'm not saying Disney are saints, but it would be evidently suicidal for them to launch any sort of targeted eradication of FOSS. Any court case would be thrown out immediately considering their use of that which they would be attacking.

I blame bad writers. Understanding FOSS and the politics of code is not something most people are aware of, no matter how many people on reddit claim to understand. I don't think they are obligated to be informed when writing a show. TV is not a peer-reviewed or deep medium, and it can even be argued TV is deliberately dumbed-down, which is fine by me, because people need to realize this and move on in their pursuit for truth.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

<joke to lighten the mood>

Not all sitcoms get it wrong : Oh, Ubuntu!.

</joke to lighten the mood>

Beans

These are prescribed, take as directed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

I don't have any problems with them making fun of open source, I have problems with them trying to be smart about something they obviously don't know about, like the infamous scene in CSI: New York which can be summaried with "Existing IP trackers are so lame we have to write one ourself using the worst possible programming language we can think of.", and much more examples in the link I posted.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

The other day I ran into someone who was negatively implying that the FOSS community doesn't have any issue with pirating software. I had to tell him that most of the FOSS community is actually anti-pirating. That's why we use FOSS!

Quote Originally Posted by papibe View Post
    <joke to lighten the mood>

Not all sitcoms get it wrong : Oh, Ubuntu!.

</joke to lighten the mood>
    I love that.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123