Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Ultrabook

Anyone have the same problem?

Thinkpad Carbon X1 + Ubuntu 12.04 => Flawless
    Thinkpad Carbon X1 + Ubuntu 12.10 => Trackpoint not working

I noticed this on the LiveCD (on USB ofcourse ) when I wanted to install the newer version, so now I dare not install.
    📻 Amp.lol. No bloat, just radio. 🤘

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I can't get the Carbon X1 to boot from Ubuntu on a USB flash drive. I've switched it on to Legacy boot, but to no effect. My USB flash drive is ok and boots fine on another laptop. Has anyone experience this problem with the Carbon X1? I see that many here manged to load Ubuntu onto the machine. Any suggestions why I'm experiencing this problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by pmorton View Post
    I can't get the Carbon X1 to boot from Ubuntu on a USB flash drive. I've switched it on to Legacy boot, but to no effect. My USB flash drive is ok and boots fine on another laptop. Has anyone experience this problem with the Carbon X1? I see that many here manged to load Ubuntu onto the machine. Any suggestions why I'm experiencing this problem?
    No problem booting from a live Raring (64-bit) USB stick with default BIOS settings.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

No problem booting Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon 64 bit from USB created with Unetbootin using default factory settings on the laptop.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Redsandro View Post
    No problem booting Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon 64 bit from USB created with Unetbootin using default factory settings on the laptop.
    I made the same USB boot drive with Mint Cinnamon 64, and put the Carbon X1 back to Lenovo's factory condition. I get up the Boot Menu and it gives me the choice of booting from the internal Sandisk hard drive (Windows) or the USB drive, as Sandisk Cruser Blade, on which Mint 14 resides (the latter loads up ok from my desktop). When I choose the USB drive to boot from, the screen flashes and it goes back to the Boot Menu without doing anything. Any further ideas?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I didn't pay much attention because for me it immediately worked.
    Using F8 or F10 or sth to get the boot options, and then choose USB. I don't know why it won't work for you.

These are just guesses and might seem silly.

Maybe you need to use the other USB port? (There are two)
    Maybe your USB stick is incompatible with booting? Try a different brand.
    Maybe your USB stick is formatted improperly for the bootable iso to work? Format as FAT16 and use Unetbootin on it. Or FAT32?

Beans
    Distro

Thanks; I've checked all of these to avail, except that the USB flash drive may be the problem insofar as it's a Sandisk, like the hard drive - the machine could be having problems with that. I'll try another drive.

Beans
    Distro

Changed the USB drive to another make, and it now boots!

Not the end of the problem, though.

Tried to install Ubuntu alongside Windows. Let me reduce the size of the Windows partition, but the freed-up unallocated space then registered as 'unuseable'. So I gave up on that and overwrote windows. That went well, until I tried to boot Ubuntu from the internal solid state drive, only to find the BIOS won't now boot from that drive!

It all seems to be to do with secure booting, which is a big pain to deal with. Lenovo's support (UK 01475 897 163) say that in addition to switching Secure Boot in the BIOS to 'Disabled', in the Restart/Load Setup Defaults menu, the item 'OS Optimise Defaults' needs to be set to 'Disabled' too. Yet to try it.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pmorton View Post
    Lenovo's support (UK 01475 897 163) say that in addition to switching Secure Boot in the BIOS to 'Disabled', in the Restart/Load Setup Defaults menu, the item 'OS Optimise Defaults' needs to be set to 'Disabled' too. Yet to try it.
    That did it - I've now got Ubuntu running, having overwritten Windows.
    Last edited by pmorton; December 16th, 2012 at 09:40 PM.

Beans

One question to the guys that own a x1 carbon how good is the build quality. I had a T420 and it was aweful the case croaked at some points and the keyboard had a few keys that made noises above that after about 2 years it started to randomly shutdown.
    I mean lenovo are not cheap and I do not know if I should give them another chance? Feedback wanted

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast