Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Ultrabook

Beans

Question Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Ultrabook

I wonder whether there is anybody, who tried to run Ubuntu or any other linux distribution on the new Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Ultrabook yet? I am seriously considering to buy it, and was wondering whether it works flawlessly.

Thx!

dpjg

[UPDATE]
    For impatient fellows not wanting to read the whole thread, it seems that th X1 Carbon works flawlessly with Ubuntu: https://ftbeowulf.wordpress.com/2012...ovo-x1-carbon/
    Last edited by dpjg; August 31st, 2012 at 08:27 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Ultrabook

I plan on purchasing an X1 Carbon at some point in the near future. I'll report back my findings after I get it.

Beans

Thanks undoIT, I will do the same in case I am quicker than you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Talking Re: Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Ultrabook

I am considering getting it as well!

But, I prefer not to use Windows... So I'm looking forward to the findings of people getting this sleek machine!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by loklaan View Post
    I am considering getting it as well!

But, I prefer not to use Windows... So I'm looking forward to the findings of people getting this sleek machine!
    I wish Lenovo and other manufacturers would make the option available to have systems shipped WITHOUT Windows and provide feedback functionality during the ordering process where customers could specify which OS they intend to install once they receive their new system. I do not want to pay for a Windows license. I wouldn't use Windows if you paid me. I already have a developer copy of XP which is fine for testing my websites in POS Internet Explorer 7. And, I don't want to support artificially inflating Windows market share numbers.

I do have relationships with most of the major manufacturers. I think I'll reach out to my contacts and ask them to pass along this suggestion now that I have ranted
    Last edited by undoIT; August 29th, 2012 at 03:33 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by undoIT View Post
    I do have relationships with most of the major manufacturers. I think I'll reach out to my contacts and ask them to pass along this suggestion now that I have ranted
    If that works out or you only manage to forgo the 'Windows Tax' on a new machine, I would be well interested in your contacts. Goodluck.

I am still very eager to hear Ubuntu user experiences on the X1 Carbon!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I ordered the X1 Carbon a couple of weeks ago, and am just awaiting delivery - there's been a delay of some kind due to hardware shortages/demand it seems.

I plan on loading Ubuntu 12.04 as soon as I get it; before I even see that nasty bloated Lenovo/Windows nonsense. I bought Ubuntu stickers direct from Canonical and received some free ones from System76. I'm ready!!

So, here's hoping I get the laptop very soon, and that Ubuntu loads and runs flawlessly. It should, as it is certified to work well on the X1 (sans carbon). All of the innards seem Ubuntu friendly, too, not that that means anything of course.

It looks like an amazing machine with just about everything I've been waiting for - anti-glare screen, lightweight, backlit keyboard, glass touchpad, non-Apple look, legendary Thinkpad keyboard, track point (hopefully it's Ubuntu friendly by default), and good battery life. What more could one want? Well, a lower price, a brighter, IPS screen, and Ubuntu preloaded by default, I guess.

If I don't get irritated with Lenovo over the delay and cancel (or rather, should the delay carry on further and they handle it poorly), I'll happily be back here to report my success/failure.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by norfair View Post
    I ordered the X1 Carbon a couple of weeks ago, and am just awaiting delivery - there's been a delay of some kind due to hardware shortages/demand it seems.

I plan on loading Ubuntu 12.04 as soon as I get it; before I even see that nasty bloated Lenovo/Windows nonsense. I bought Ubuntu stickers direct from Canonical and received some free ones from System76. I'm ready!!

So, here's hoping I get the laptop very soon, and that Ubuntu loads and runs flawlessly...
    I own a T410s and a T420s. The Linux compatibility on these machines and other Lenovo systems I have installed on has been fantastic. I am expecting a smooth experience with the X1 Carbon when I get it.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by norfair View Post
    So, here's hoping I get the laptop very soon, and that Ubuntu loads and runs flawlessly. It should, as it is certified to work well on the X1 (sans carbon). All of the innards seem Ubuntu friendly, too, not that that means anything of course.
    The touchpad in the X1 Carbon has made huge advancements. I hope these can be experienced under Linux! Thats about the only thing that might suffer, not counting combo conflicts.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by loklaan View Post
    The touchpad in the X1 Carbon has made huge advancements. I hope these can be experienced under Linux! Thats about the only thing that might suffer, not counting combo conflicts.
    Do you know if it is a Synaptic pad? The touchpad on my Macbook Air works pretty well, although not all the gestures are supported and touchegg hasn't been updated for 12.04. When touchegg is working, that touchpad is excellent. I have had troubles tyring to configure mtrack.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast