Thread: Downclocking GPU

Hybrid View

Beans

Downclocking GPU

Hello,
    I would like to run my PC with multiple displays. But it seems that nVidia is not able to downclock the card it this mode.
    However, as I first installed Kubuntu (I had almost no idea what was happening suring the installation) tthe system loaded not nVidia drivers but Nouveau. Well, today aftr reinstallation I have certified nVidia drivers. Im quite happy that now I can know something about the temperature etc. Well while the Nouveau drivers cant tell anything about state of my graphics, they can do an awesome thing ->Downclock the GPU while running on multiple displays.
    Is there some possibility to change the GPU PowerMode (as in PowerMizer) manually? I need to force it to 0 for Iddle, 1 for Video and 3 for games as it was designed..
    Thank you very much

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Downclocking GPU

As far as I know it scales automatically to meet performance requirements. Forcing it to run at lower frequencies would impact performance significantly.

Beans

Re: Downclocking GPU

Actually the performance is good at the low levels.. Im forcing it with succes on windows. mode 0 for GUI mode 1 for video and mode 2 for games. The GPU itself should take it to the low level even with two displays, but theres a known bug in nVidia design that somehow disables this automatization. (They claim it is in "design" but obviously its somewhere else as we can override it with such a simple thing like nVidiaInspector, which regardly is not for Linux..)