Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Building My First Computer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Building My First Computer

Wellllll, I went to MicroCenter and bought the CPU and motherboard. They had a bundle deal with the CPU & motherboard. The Intel Core i7-3770K was $289.99 instead of $339.99 from Newegg, and I got the ASUS P8Z77-V PRO motherboard for $159.99 instead of $209.99! So I'm really happy with that purchase. I didn't get the SeaSonic PSU in my previous post, but I got OCZ Technology ZT Series 650W one instead. However, I'm on the MicroCenter site and I see the same PSU, but 750W for the same price, so I'm thinking to go exchange it! Sounds good? Your thoughts on the OCZ PSU versus the SeaSonic PSU?

Also, I bought a 1TB HDD.

Did I do good?
    Question Everything

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Shadius View Post
    Wellllll, I went to MicroCenter and bought the CPU and motherboard. They had a bundle deal with the CPU & motherboard. The Intel Core i7-3770K was $289.99 instead of $339.99 from Newegg, and I got the ASUS P8Z77-V PRO motherboard for $159.99 instead of $209.99! So I'm really happy with that purchase. I didn't get the SeaSonic PSU in my previous post, but I got OCZ Technology ZT Series 650W one instead. However, I'm on the MicroCenter site and I see the same PSU, but 750W for the same price, so I'm thinking to go exchange it! Sounds good? Your thoughts on the OCZ PSU versus the SeaSonic PSU?

Also, I bought a 1TB HDD.

Did I do good?
    I went to lookup some in depth review on the OCZ ZT series and they are solid units. If you can get the 750W unit for the same price as the 650W unit then go swap it out. The Seasonic is however a better PSU, Gold rated which means it's more efficient than the OCZ Bronze rated one. But hey it's a $40 difference so decide if you can live with that, I would be happy with the OCZ.

Hard drive is fine, it's 7200rpm with 32MB cache so should be good. I have no brand preference for hard drives as they all eventually die but it helps to go with the brand that provides a longer warranty which you got with this drive. Hitachi & WD is 3yrs, Seagate is 1yr.

Looks like you are also buying based on price looking out for specials which is great
    Last edited by mips; September 1st, 2012 at 10:19 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    I went to lookup some in depth review on the OCZ ZT series and they are solid units. If you can get the 750W unit for the same price as the 650W unit then go swap it out. The Seasonic is however a better PSU, Gold rated which means it's more efficient than the OCZ Bronze rated one. But hey it's a $40 difference so decide if you can live with that.

Hard drive is fine, it's 7200rpm with 32MB cache so should be good. I have no brand preference for hard drives as they all eventually die but it helps to go with the brand that provides a longer warranty which you got with this drive. Hitachi & WD is 3yrs, Seagate is 1yr.

Looks like you are also buying based on price looking out for specials which is great
    When I go to exchange the PSU, I will check if they have a Seasonic one. Could you share with me where you got the review for the OCZ ZT series PSU? I'd be interested in reading it so I could learn more.

The sales associate at MicroCenter actually was honest enough to mention that I could get the motherboard cheaper with the purchase of the CPU and he said he could try matching the prices from Newegg or TigerDirect. They didn't have the DDR3 2400 RAM though so I'll have to get that from Newegg, TigerDirect or somewhere else. I thought I'd start out with a pair of 8GB modules to give me 16GB. That should be more than enough, no? I'll buy the other pair later if I decide to max it out to 32GB. I am definitely looking out for specials since I'd like to stay within my budget and if I can even go below my budget, even better!

Also, do you think the Replacement Plans are worth it for the motherboard, CPU and PSU?
    Question Everything

Beans

Could you share with me where you got the review for the OCZ ZT series PSU? I'd be interested in reading it so I could learn more.

Also, do you think the Replacement Plans are worth it for the motherboard, CPU and PSU?
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...-Review/1418/1
    http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-zt-...er-supply.html click on the Reviews tab for many more

Not being from the US and not having any experience with this I can't comment on replacement plans. I'd be willing to read up on it if you give me a link to their policies etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Wellllll, I went to MicroCenter and bought the CPU and motherboard. They had a bundle deal with the CPU & motherboard. The Intel Core i7-3770K was $289.99 instead of $339.99 from Newegg, and I got the ASUS P8Z77-V PRO motherboard for $159.99 instead of $209.99! So I'm really happy with that purchase. I didn't get the SeaSonic PSU in my previous post, but I got ...
    Glad you discovered the joy of living within driving distance of a MicroCenter! The MicroCenter deals are for pick up only.Just one thing to be aware of -- for i5/i7 check the pins on the motherboard before leaving the store. The chances of getting a motherboard with bent pins are small, but it is possible. You may want to bring a magnifying glass and know what to look for. The pins are on a 45 degree angle and tiny. I really miss the huge (in comparison) pins on the AMD Phenom II CPU's

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've got the i5 3570 and asrock z77 extreme4 from microcenter. Works great and what a deal! Sounds like your system will be very nice. Next thing to do is pick up a Nvidia GTX 660 video card and you'll be set.

BTW I am still using a SeaSonic 650w power supply I bought about 5 years ago.. worth every penny.

Beans
    Distro

I've begun assembling my system!! I can post pictures of it if you guys like. One thing that I'm super confused about is hooking up the panel. You know, where it has the connections for the power button and such. Any tips? These cables are confusing me!

I'm doing my research on graphics cards now. I'm not in a hurry to get one as I'm not getting into anything that requires heavy graphics. No gaming for now. I'm thinking about liquid cooling also.

I got the Replacement Plan for the motherboard. The details are that if anything goes wrong with the motherboard, whether it burns out or whatever, MicroCenter will give me my money back or I can exchange it for another motherboard. I think that's fair.
    Question Everything

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

You know, where it has the connections for the power button and such. Any tips?
    this is where you break the manual out to get the pin sets
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    this is where you break the manual out to get the pin sets
    This ^^. Read the manual, there really is no other answer.

Beans
    Distro

Will do.
    Question Everything

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast