Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Building My First Computer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Building My First Computer

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    I would suggest people take this advice with a pinch of salt
    I thought Ivy Bridge was newer than Sandy Bridge?
    Question Everything

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I would suggest people take this advice with a pinch of salt
    Oh? I'm definitely interested in your perspective on this. There's only so much research that I had time to do, and I might have missed something informative. I could definitely be wrong in my thinking on this.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Shadius View Post
    It's sounding like I would be good with the Z77 chipset rather than the X79 chipset. What are the differences between them though? I've been trying to figure that out. I'm on Intel's website trying to compare the two. Also, trying to figure out the differences between the sockets. I don't think I'll be getting into anything that has to do with high computations or extreme overclocking so I'm leaning toward the Z77 chipset like you suggested.
    In my opinion it's a bit of a trade off. The way I see it, the X79 (socket 2011 stuff) is a bit more expensive and a little higher end than you need (more L3 cache, the capability of higher number core processors, etc). However, the 2011 would probably be a little more forward compatible and allow for a chip upgrade or two (if you really wanted one!) without having to majorly overhaul the system. That being said, depending on your future needs, you may not even upgrade for more than 5 years or so, at which time the market will have likely changed. So, you might decide at that point to upgrade past a socket 2011 series chipset.

I'm no where near an expert in this field (and I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night), so my perspective might not be correct. With the stuff you're planning, though, I think you'll get the horsepower you need from the Socket 1155 stuff, and can save the extra money for other fun stuff like an SSD or a fully modular PSU, which is really nice as it's a little cleaner than having a standard octopus PSU (that's not the industry standard term for that, btw!).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by drmrgd View Post
    Oh? I'm definitely interested in your perspective on this. There's only so much research that I had time to do, and I might have missed something informative. I could definitely be wrong in my thinking on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadius View Post
    I thought Ivy Bridge was newer than Sandy Bridge?
    It is.

Sandy Bridge (32nm) 2011
    Ivy Bridge (22nm) 2012
    Last edited by mips; August 23rd, 2012 at 10:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro

In my opinion it's a bit of a trade off. The way I see it, the X79 (socket 2011 stuff) is a bit more expensive and a little higher end than you need (more L3 cache, the capability of higher number core processors, etc). However, the 2011 would probably be a little more forward compatible and allow for a chip upgrade or two (if you really wanted one!) without having to majorly overhaul the system. That being said, depending on your future needs, you may not even upgrade for more than 5 years or so, at which time the market will have likely changed. So, you might decide at that point to upgrade past a socket 2011 series chipset.

I'm no where near an expert in this field (and I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night), so my perspective might not be correct. With the stuff you're planning, though, I think you'll get the horsepower you need from the Socket 1155 stuff, and can save the extra money for other fun stuff like an SSD or a fully modular PSU, which is really nice as it's a little cleaner than having a standard octopus PSU (that's not the industry standard term for that, btw!).
    Sounds good. I've definitely given thought to getting an SSD when the prices come down. The modular PSU is news to me. Gotta do some research on that now.
    Last edited by Shadius; August 23rd, 2012 at 10:48 PM.
    Question Everything

Beans
    Distro

It is.

Sandy Bridge (32nm) 2011
    Ivy Bridge (22nm) 2012
    Yikes!!! Total foot in mouth on that one!

I was thinking Ivy and saying Sandy, and vice versa. Sorry about that mix up! Might be time for a coffee boost....

Beans

I was thinking Ivy and saying Sandy, and vice versa.
    If they were women you would be very unpopular right now

Beans
    Distro

Nice!!!!

These days, that's the last thing I need!

Beans
    Distro

Nice!!!!

These days, that's the last thing I need!
    Question Everything

Beans

All those burning Bridges that are falling after me..........
    This account is not active.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast