Thread: Bridging wireless networks?

Beans

Bridging wireless networks?

Hi guys.

I don't know much about wireless, so here is a question for you all.

I recently moved to a new place, which is cool. Unfortunately the modem sits in one end of the apartment and the office is at the opposite end, and routing an Ethernet cable is pretty tricky since I rent and can't really drill holes in the wall. So I'm wondering if it is possible to connect a router to another routers wireless network?

What I want is something like the attached sketch. Wireless router 1 acts as gateway, DHCP server and serves laptops and others that need to connect to WIFI. Wireless router 2 connects to Wireless router 1 wirelessly, and acts as a switch for my LAN. Yes, wireless router 2 is basically a switch, except it is connected wirelessly to the router.

So yeah, is it possible? Does it require expensive gear? How stable is the connection between the wireless routers going to be?

Thank you for your time!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Bridging wireless networks?

PS3 users did this a lot before the PS3 came with built in Wireless. Search it up. (20 GB has no Wireless)
    AMD PII X6 @ 3.63 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 (1600 No OC) - ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    SB X-Fi 2 Sound (8ch) - Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet - Win 8 Pro. x64
    AMD R HD 7950 (SAPPHIRE) - WD CG 500GB - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You should be able to do this with any router that supports dd-wrt. You can get one for about $40 maybe.

But Router 2 would act as a client, so this means it must be able to get the sinal from Router 1. If Router 2 can get the signal, the computers nearby probably will as well, so why not connect them directly to Router 1?
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans

Yeah, immediately after posting I found a page explaining it...

The reason for doing it this way is that I wouldn't have to get wireless adapters for all my devices, and I can have a gigabit connection between my devices connected to the LAN.