Thread: question about shortcut and compiz

Beans

question about shortcut and compiz

hi everyone

i am using windows 7 and i install vmware and then i install ubuntu 12.04 and i shard some files between the two but when i share the shortcut files that i have on windows 7 i can't open it on ubuntu i can see the file .lnk is there a way to open the file ?

second question can i use the compiz effects on ubuntu while i'm using it through vmware because i tried but i didn't work

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: question about shortcut and compiz

A shortcut is just that, a shortcut. It is just a pointer to a file, so if you copy it anywhere, it will just point to a non-existant file. You need to copy the actual file if you wish to use it.

As for Compiz, I don't think you can use it without 3D acceleration. Try to install Vmware Tools, maybe they will provide the driver.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus Torvalds
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program."

Beans

thank you for your reply

i am trying to download vmware tools but i can't , this message appear (VMware Tools installation cannot be started manually while Easy Install is in progress) i looked for solutions but all the solutions that i found don't work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

You need to unmount the Easy Install floppy/disk from the VM first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus Torvalds
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program."