Thread: no sound on 12.04

Beans

no sound on 12.04

EDIT: I was able to change my BIOS options and get the audio working. Thanks for your time!

Hey everyone, any help on this is greatly appreciated. I've worked on solving the problem for a day or two, but i just don't know enough about Ubuntu to be really intelligent about coming up with a solution!

I installed 12.04 a few days ago; at first the sound worked but soon after the install i was unable to get audio to come out of the speakers. I'm not sure where the source of the problem is!

When i look into my sound settings, the only output device is listed as 'dummy output' which obviously doesn't work. I've looked into this issue a fair amount: you can find reports here and here , for instance. two popular solutions from those pages are to get rid of pulseaudio or alsa, like so:

Code:
    apt-get purge alsa-dha-dkms
    or
    Code:
    pulseaudio -k
    neither of which worked for me. i saw here that it might work to totally remove and reinstall puleaudio and alsa, like so:
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    sudo apt-get remove --purge alsa-base
    sudo apt-get remove --purge pulseaudio
    sudo apt-get install alsa-base
    sudo apt-get install pulseaudio
    sudo alsa force-reload
    but sadly this did not work either.

i went though these items, and found that those tips were unhelpful. Here is some information i got from the troubleshooting steps:

To see if Ubuntu recognizes any sound card, i did the following:
    Code:
    $ aplay -l
    aplay: device_list:252: no soundcards found...
    apparently the sound modules might be the problem. so, to try to find them, i did:
    Code:
    $ find /lib/modules/`uname -r` | grep sn
    /lib/modules/3.2.0-29-generic-pae/kernel/net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_snmp.ko
    /lib/modules/3.2.0-29-generic-pae/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/nf_nat_snmp_basic.ko
    /lib/modules/3.2.0-29-generic-pae/kernel/net/bridge/netfilter/ebt_snat.ko
    So i had the modules installed. the next step was to see if my PC's hardware was recognizing the soundcard, so i did:
    Code:
    $ lspci -v | grep -A7 -i "audio"
    which returned a new line, like so:
    Code:
    $ lspci -v | grep -A7 -i "audio"
    $
    So i took around my BIOS setup, but couldn't find anything that looked particularly relevant. then again, i'm not sure about what i should have been looking for.

any help is appreciated!
    Last edited by noconaway; August 23rd, 2012 at 03:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: no sound on 12.04

Glad that it worked. Please marked your thread as solved to help others in the forum
    "In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?" Having trouble compiling drivers in a different kernel?, Dual Boot Tutorial Ubuntu Hardware Support List