Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Learning bash scripting for mysql

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Learning bash scripting for mysql

Hi guys

I've recently begun learning bash scripting and I'd like to be able to scrip creating mysql databases.

Does anyone have any good material to help me with this. I've been unable to get it to work so far.

I want to take input for username, password, databasename and then create a new user with the given password, then create the database with the given name and grant the given user all privleges on the new database.

As soon as I get chance to test it again to c&p the output I'll post my code and output but for now any good guides, tips, coding samples you could point me to would be much appreciated.
    Dungeon Master: You have no idea, but maybe you will find out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Learning bash scripting for mysql

OK heres my code

This is what I've found so far by googling
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

###Variables
    username="user1"
    password="user1"

databasename="database1"

sudo mysql -u rootuser -prootpassword mysql -e "CREATE DATABASE $databasename; GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON  $databasename.* TO $username@localhost IDENTIFIED BY $password; FLUSH PRIVILEGES;"

Any ideas where I'm going wrong.
    I don't get any error messages when I run the script but it seems to do nothing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Just curious, but why the need to script mysql management when phpMyAdmin is out there?
    Keep Ubuntu free! Donate any amount you like – just use the PayPal donation address donations@ubuntu.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

mostly academic really although the script ive written does a lot more than create a mysql database. I just simplifies it her because this is the bit i cant get to work.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi,

I would break your script into pieces to see what's failing, also you do not need to use sudo with the mysql command:

Code:
    mysql -u rootuser -prootpassword -e "CREATE DATABASE $databasename;"

mysql -u rootuser -prootpassword -e "GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON  $databasename.* TO $username@localhost IDENTIFIED BY $password; FLUSH PRIVILEGES;"
    Also is user1 already a user in MySQL?
    Last edited by Azdour; August 23rd, 2012 at 03:50 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

To get input from the user, you can use read
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    #Defaults
    username="user1"
    password="user1"
    database="database1"
    #Get variables from the user
    read -e -p "Username: " -i $username username
    read -e -s -p "Password: " -i $password password; echo
    read -e -p "Database name: " -i $database database

echo "You are $username and you have $password for a password. You also have $database as a database"
    Code:
    lisiano@Lisiano-Ubuntu:/run/shm$ bash test.sh 
    Username: Lisiano
    Password:
    Database name: Megadatabase
    You are Lisiano and you have Secretpass for a password. You also have Megadatabase as a database
    lisiano@Lisiano-Ubuntu:/run/shm$
    -e - Use readline to get input
    -s - Silent, AKA don't echo the output.
    -p - Set a prompt for a user
    -i - Preenter a value
    username/password/database - The last argument is the variable to which the input will be assigned to.

EDIT: To read more about read and other bash commands, use this
    Code:
    man builtins
    Last edited by Lisiano; August 23rd, 2012 at 04:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus Torvalds
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Lisiano View Post
    To get input from the user, you can use read
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    #Defaults
    username="user1"
    password="user1"
    database="database1"
    #Get variables from the user
    read -e -p "Username: " -i $username username
    read -e -s -p "Password: " -i $password password; echo
    read -e -p "Database name: " -i $database database

echo "You are $username and you have $password for a password. You also have $database as a database"
    Code:
    lisiano@Lisiano-Ubuntu:/run/shm$ bash test.sh 
    Username: Lisiano
    Password:
    Database name: Megadatabase
    You are Lisiano and you have Secretpass for a password. You also have Megadatabase as a database
    lisiano@Lisiano-Ubuntu:/run/shm$
    -e - Use readline to get input
    -s - Silent, AKA don't echo the output.
    -p - Set a prompt for a user
    -i - Preenter a value
    username/password/database - The last argument is the variable to which the input will be assigned to.

EDIT: To read more about read and other bash commands, use this
    Code:
    man builtins
    Thanks for that I was using 'read' but your solution is more elegant than mine. I just simplified it here to concentrate on the SQL part.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Azdour View Post
    Hi,

I would break your script into pieces to see what's failing, also you do not need to use sudo with the mysql command:

Code:
    mysql -u rootuser -prootpassword -e "CREATE DATABASE $databasename;"

mysql -u rootuser -prootpassword -e "GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON  $databasename.* TO $username@localhost IDENTIFIED BY $password; FLUSH PRIVILEGES;"
    Also is user1 already a user in MySQL?
    Ok I have split it as you suggested
    I'm still seeing nothing

user1 does not exist, I was under the impression for the samples I found that the above command would also create user1. Is this not correct

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi,

It's strange you are not seeing any error messages.

Anyway there is nothing in what you have posted that creates user1, so you need to do this, off the top of my head.

Code:
    mysql -u rootuser -prootpassword -e -e "create USER '$username'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY '$password'"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Right I gave up on this for a while as I was plannign on upgrading to ubuntu 12.04 LTS and though it best to test it there.

Still getting the same problem but after some experimenting I have found its the . in a database name that it does not like.

This works

Code:
    #!/bin/bash                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
    domainname=testcouk                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
    username="testuser"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
    password="testuser"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

mysql -u root -ppassword mysql -e "CREATE USER '$username'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY  '$password';"                                                                                                                                                                          
    mysql -u root -ppassword mysql -e "CREATE DATABASE $domainname;"                                                                                                                                                                                                             
    mysql -u root -ppassword mysql -e "GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON  $domainname.* TO $username@localhost;"
    but this does not

Code:
    #!/bin/bash                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
    domainname=test.co.uk                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
    username="testuser2"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
    password="testuser2"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

mysql -u root -ppassword mysql -e "CREATE USER '$username'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY  '$password';"                                                                                                                                                                          
    mysql -u root -ppassword mysql -e "CREATE DATABASE $domainname;"                                                                                                                                                                                                             
    mysql -u root -ppassword mysql -e "GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON  $domainname.* TO $username@localhost;"
    I don't see what it has against the . as I can create the database with this name using phpmyadmin.
    Any ideas

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast