Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SSD Prices

Beans

Re: SSD Prices

I myself intend to use an SSD on my desktop as my OS drive. It'll hold my OS's (Win7 and possibly Ubuntu if big enough) and all their apps/games. Now for movies, anime, music, documents, pictures, downloads, linux ISO's, and other stuff I'd store, I stick with a traditional hard drive.

On a desktop... for booting and running your OS and apps SSD's are great. For data storage, go with a big hard drive.

On laptops, get a decent-sized SSD for your OS (or OS's) and apps.

For data storage, use a secondary hard drive, if your laptop has the space for a second drive. Otherwise, use an external hard drive for data storage. WD My Passports are still really good portable HDD's that don't require an external power source.

As far as how big... for dual-booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu (or your choice Linux), 128-160GB should do the trick, leaving you plenty of breathing room. For single-boot Windows systems, go with at least a 90GB, which gives you room for Windows 7 and all your apps. For Ubuntu systems not running Virtualbox, a small 30-45GB will do the trick.

So there you have it
    Don't like Unity? Hate it? Not your cup of coffee? Ubuntu does provide choices. There's GNOME Shell, KDE Plasma, Xfce, LXDE, and now MATE and Cinnamon. Take your pick

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: SSD Prices

Quote Originally Posted by effenberg0x0 View Post
    Someone told me yesterday that some new motherboards have a feature that allows you to use a small partition of an SSD to speed up a traditional HDD, as long as both units are SATA 3 connected to the same controller. The traditional HDD would then behave as a hybrid (like Seagate Momentus, for example). I don't know the name of the feature and which motherboard brand has it. If anyone is already using it, I'd like to hear some opinions.

To my usage, I have verified that buying more than one SSD was a waste. 120GB in each was also not necessary. The best setup for me was to install Ubuntu to the SSD (takes very little space, far from 120GB) and have $HOME and content in conventional Sata 3 HDD (WD Black mdadm RAID in my case).

The only thing I added to the SSD, despite the OS itself, was my main W7-Pro VM. Running the Windows VM in the SSD makes a huge difference. Still, I only use the W7 VM for MS-Office, so it takes very little space. I should have bought only one 60GB SSD...

Regards,
    Effenberg
    On my new ASUS X79 Sabertooth MB, there is this feature, and I've seen it listed on a few of their other newer MBs too. They call it SSD caching (I think Intel's calling it Smart Response or something along those lines and I'm not sure the difference if any), and there's basically (if I remember correctly) a special 6GB/s SATA connector that uses a Marvell controller to control this in a RAID like fashion (at least I believe that's how you need to set the devices up in BIOS) - if I understand it correctly. I've not set it up yet, but it does look interesting.

With the superfast boot times of Ubuntu as it is - especially when working from an SSD

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123