Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 completely freeze

Beans

Exclamation Ubuntu 12.04 completely freeze

Hi everyone.

I couldn't find information about this:

With no warnings, the system freezes completeley. From that point, i can't move the mouse pointer, open a TTY, or anything. It just keeps freezed until i press the power button for a couple of seconds.

Hardware:
    I have a Lenovo G570 laptop, I3 Sandy Bridge, 3GB DDR3 RAM, graphics Intel HD.

Ubuntu 12.04, updated
    Unity wm

Don't know what the problem is.

The soft usually open is:

/*work*/
    Apache with PHP and MySQL
    Chromium
    Firefox
    Sublime Text 2
    VirtualBox with Win XP virtualized (1GB RAM and 32MB video, 1 core)
    Filezilla
    Gimp

/*applets / plugins*/
    Webapps (the plugin for chromium)
    Ubuntu One indicator
    Dropbox
    Radiotray
    weather indicator
    caffeine

I really really appreciate some clues here, i'm working with lots of problems because of this.

Thanks in advance

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 completely freeze

bump

Beans

bump again, sorry, but it's something really bad to me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Did you look into the system log? This is the first thing to do when such problems start to happen. Did you check your RAM by running memtest?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Have you set up (enough) swap?
    On my Kubuntu 12.04, just the system plus desktop (with a few widgets) consumes 1GB.
    (I read here somewhere today that KDE uses less RAM than Unity)
    You give 1G to VirtualBox, that leaves 1G for two browsers, Gimp and some more applications. Having no or insufficient swap in that situation might cause problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hey there,

Sorry if this is a true noobish reply but I had the same problem about a month ago. I installed 12.04 64bits with a bootable USB but the drive wasn't big enough to have an acceptable transfer area (my mistake...) It installed ubuntu and it booted without a problem. After a while (could be 1 minute or 1 hour)it used to freeze just like you reported.

In my case, I formatted everything to NTFS and re-installed ubuntu with a larger flash drive this time and everything worked and still works perfectly. Re-installing it without deleting all ext-4 partitions kept giving the same problem over and over... I don't know if the installer was modified meantime but i assume it was because i used to edit files in order for it to boot from the flash drive (else it'd give an error) which i don't need to perform anymore...

Good luck with your issue, i acknowledge it's is pretty annoying

Beans

Thanks for the answers, i really appreciate them.

first: I DO looked up into var/log/ , xorg and syslog, but nothing's there (i assume that the system is completely freezed up and locked up, so there's no filled log)

second: i have a 2GB swap partition, i thinks it's more than enough, isn't it?

third: virtualbox is not always on. I can't say "VirtualBox is not the problem", but i'm quite sure that is not, because like i said, it's not running 24/7.

fourth: i didn't see how much ram unity claims, but the entirely OS is running smoothly, even when virtualbox is running. There is only a small amount of "lag" when chromium have more than 10 tabs, and XP is virtualized with VB.

Do you think virtualbox or the size of the swap partitions is causing this freeze?

Thanks!

PS: Sorry about my poor english!
    Last edited by javi_m; August 23rd, 2012 at 04:21 PM.

Beans

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...el/+bug/993187

The same bug in launchpad. There's no fix or answer, and a few folks misunderstood it, thinking it was an X bug.

Beans

I have been using 12.10 and with the latest 3.5 kernel updates my freezing problems seemed to have stopped.I will try reinstalling 12.04 later and upgrade the kernel to 3.5 and see what happens.

Beans

@nuttzo31 that could be a solution. I'm unable to experiment that much, since i need to work. All my data is in another partition, but install and configure the whole thing again, it's just a terrific waste of time for me.

Anyway, my laptop stop freezing at the moment (2 days without issues). But, i'm paranoic saving everything all the time, quite annoying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast