Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 completely freeze

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 completely freeze

It could be a RAM usage....That is a lot of resource heavy applications to be running at the same time with only 3GB of RAM....I'd upgrade it.

Beans

I was having freeze ups on my laptop which I "fixed" by removing a mounted SMB share, that I really didn't need.

When you reboot after a freezup, checking the /var/log/kern.log can be very useful.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by javi_m View Post
    @nuttzo31 that could be a solution. I'm unable to experiment that much, since i need to work. All my data is in another partition, but install and configure the whole thing again, it's just a terrific waste of time for me.

Anyway, my laptop stop freezing at the moment (2 days without issues). But, i'm paranoic saving everything all the time, quite annoying.
    I have been running 12.04 with kernel 3.5 for a couple of days with no freezes.You can install the 3.5 mainline kernel over the top of the ubuntu 12.04 kernel without reinstalling(always wise to have a backup regardless).

Follow the instructions here

http://www.itworld.com/software/2895...or-ubuntu-1204

If things don't work you can go back to the previous kernel by holding shift at the grub menu and choose previous version from there.

The freezes could be a sandy bridge issue(i am using asus p8p67pro board)
    Last edited by nuttzo31; August 27th, 2012 at 11:41 AM.

Beans

After some tests, i can tell you one thing:

The problem is related with virtualbox. I can tell you this because i didn't need to open virtualbox in a couple of weeks (i need top open it for some specific jobs). i didn't exèriment any freeze those days.

But, a couple of days ago i opened virtualbox again (some work to do) and voila! the freezes appear again.

Maybe it really is a RAM problem, in which case i will buy some more.

Thanks to every of you guys.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12