Thread: PHP write permissions

Beans

PHP write permissions

So I have a php script that I am installing on my ubuntu server. The php script that I have has an install via browser after copying the code files in. I go through the setup and on the last page it says it cannot write (create) the .htaccess file or the config.cfg file.

Any ideas what I need to do to get permissions for the files to be made?

Beans

Re: PHP write permissions

Any files written by the apache web server will have user and group "www-data", the user and group that the server runs under. So any directory into which such files need to be written must be writable by the www-data user.

Beans

Okay that solve the config file issue. But I'm still having issue with the .htaccess. Would that need something different?

Beans

.htaccess files are disabled by default in Ubuntu. If you look at /etc/apache2/sites-available/default, you'll see an "AllowOverride None" entry for both / and /var/www. You can either change these defaults or, better, place the directives that would have gone into .htaccess in the <Directory> stanza of the virtual host that pertains to the software you're installing. If you change the defaults, you'll need to restart apache with "sudo service apache2 restart".

Beans

Sweet I went ahead and just changed the defaults to "AllowOverride All". Thanks a ton!